cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stewron
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Smart Hub problems with 8 port switch

Using Smart hub and generally no problems but need more ports than the four on the hub. Have tried a couple of different brand unmanaged 8 port gigabit switches but once connected, the hub becomes unstable and often loses broadband connection. Have tried hub reset but to no avail. Once lost broadband connection, reconnecting can often only be done by a reset, but that may only last a few minutes before red light comes back on. Should I be connecting to a specific port on the hub, or some other settings I should change?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Smart Hub problems with 8 port switch

What devices have you got connected to your home hub Ethernet ports? Is there a possibility that you have accidentally created an Ethernet loop, as that will crash the home hub?

Ethernet loops can be caused by using multiple powerline adapters connected to the home hub, or Ethernet to wireless bridging.

0 Ratings
Stewron
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thank Keith. Last time I tried I just had one item plugged in (Sky box). Is there a specific Port I should use on the hub for the switch?
0 Ratings
Stewron
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Sorry, other items in hub don't cause any problem (Apple TV, NAS, Sonos) it just causes problems when gigabit switch is plugged in (and tried two different makes too).
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@Stewron wrote:
Thank Keith. Last time I tried I just had one item plugged in (Sky box). Is there a specific Port I should use on the hub for the switch?

No, there is no specific port, any of the four ports will do.

How far away was the switch located, and was it connected directly to the home hub using an Ethernet cable?

0 Ratings