Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willyhoops
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Smart Hub with Red WAN - Third party provider setup help

Go to solution

Hi, I have a BT Smart Hub with Red WAN socket (eg as supplied to FTTP customers so they can connect to Open Reach Modems). I am now in Cyprus with my Smart Hub and want to use it with my local broadband provider.

The live internet ethernet socket coming from the wall connects to a mini router with dhcp that supports a small number of devices and which gets the internet from a microwave dish on the roof. So when I plug the internet socket into my laptop I have internet instantly, there is no logon etc.

But when I plug the internet socket into the Smart Hub Red WAN socket the smart hub does nothing.

I have looked through the setup pages but I can not see what I should do to 'activate' the red port for third party equipment.

The only way I have been able to get it to work is to plug the internet into the yellow LAN1 port instead of the red WAN port and disable DHCP on the Newtork settings page. It works this way as a wireless switch, but it flashes purple all the time because it is still trying to connect. If this is the only way how can I stop it flashing?

Thanks very much,

William

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Smart Hub with Red WAN - Third party provider setup help

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail customers.

The BT Home hub is locked to BT, so its not going to be any use with your current ISP. The red port is a WAN port, and can only be used with a stand alone modem. You cannot change the login details.

0 Ratings
willyhoops
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Well thank you for a definitive answer you seem totally confident of.
What about disabling the purple flashing light after I have swithed off DHCP so I can use the smart hub simply as a glorified wireless switch.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

You could do that, but you would have to connect to one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port.

That will not stop the light flashing, so you would have to cover it up.

0 Ratings
willyhoops
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

thank you very much keith. I am going to summarize the conversation for prosperity:

(1) you can't use the red wan port with anything except an open reach modem.

(2) you can plug your third party internet into the lan port, turn off the dhcp, and use it as a wireless switch, but if you do you can't stop it flashing all the time, instead you have to cover the light up with tape or soemthing.

if anyone else disagrees please let me know.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

That is correct.

0 Ratings
willyhoops
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

dear keith, again thank you very much for helping me. i just wanted to add a post script:

for people like me: what would be a nice is a firmware hack to enable the red wan port for all providers.

personally i think they should have made the red wan port work that way in the first place, I think its quite pointless to go to the trouble of making it not work with anything except an open reach modem. its a very powerful router, its good looking and the control interface is nice, i wanted to use it here in cyprus and i just assumed it would work, so i bought it on amazon, after going to all the trouble of finding the special red one, and got it shipped to cyprus. but i can kiss that £60 goodbye.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

The red port has to to connect to a single Internet routable address. The home hub provides NAT (Network Address Translation) to provide a range of private adresses.

You would have been better off purchasing a good wireless access point, if its wireless coverage you needed.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@willyhoops wrote:

dear keith, again thank you very much for helping me. i just wanted to add a post script:

for people like me: what would be a nice is a firmware hack to enable the red wan port for all providers.

personally i think they should have made the red wan port work that way in the first place, I think its quite pointless to go to the trouble of making it not work with anything except an open reach modem. its a very powerful router, its good looking and the control interface is nice, i wanted to use it here in cyprus and i just assumed it would work, so i bought it on amazon, after going to all the trouble of finding the special red one, and got it shipped to cyprus. but i can kiss that £60 goodbye.

Its an ISP supplied device, it isn't intended to be configurable.

0 Ratings
willyhoops
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The red port has to to connect to a single Internet routable address. The home hub provides NAT (Network Address Translation) to provide a range of private adresses.

Keith I don't understand your comment about single routable address.

If I can get inside the configuration of the mini-router, which I think I can because the guy who installed the dish on my roof was using it to check the signal, would I be able to get it to somehow look to the smart hub like a "single internet routable" open reach modem, eg perhaps by setting the router ip to something specific.

Eg I found:
Direct connect PC to Openreach Modem Setup
a. New network connection wizard.
b. Set network card ip to 192.168.1.75 /255.255.255.0
c. set gateway to 0.0.0.0
d. set dns to auto
1. connect to internet : next
2. set up my connection manualy :next
3. pppoe connection :next
4. name of connection :- Infinity :next
5. phone number , none :next
6. user name : take from modem user name , no password  :next
7. add short cut to desktop :next
8. put cat 5 lead into modem

The company who installed the internet wanted me to purchase a triple antenna tp-link router with a wan port on the back into which they said i could plug my internet and which supports usb drives and usb printers etc. Alternatively they offered a cheap one antenna wireless switch which they said would work well enough with a small number of devices. I took the one antenna device, but the weak signal has been a pain, so i ordered the "red wan port bt smart hub" from england and got it delivered to cyprus thinking it would do everything the triple antenna tp-link wan port router did.

0 Ratings