cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RG58
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

BT Smart Talk support

Hi all; having recently found myself in a village with no mobile signal, decided to look into WFi Calling. Bought new phone (several over last few weeks as all had issues!) including one from BT which was supposedly fully setup for it. Tested a few times in similar no-signal location, but with BT WiFi Fon connection. On each occassion the built-in WiFi Calling failed to make the call. However, after finding Smart Talk, that app connected instantly every time - literally within a second of hitting the call button, I heard the other phone finging and subequently had clear conversation.
The other day, after changing phones again, I tried to get Smart Talk registered on the new phone. Forgot about disabling it on the previous one, so looked up how to do it on-line. Nothing appeared, so rang help desk. Spoke to very nice lady who was surprised to find the 'help' was out-of-date. After conferring with a colleague, she informed me that, not only was the app not being further developed or supported, but incredulously the on-line user management facility was removed. How stupid (she agreed with that)!!
My experience convinces me that a) built-in WiFi Calling is not in the slightest reliable of even functional (0% success in my case) and b) Smart Talk app is superb (100% success rate). Why oh why are BT effectively shelving the app (which I think is awesome) when it's 'replacement' is so defective and unrelaible. At the very least (and the BT helpdesk lady agreed with me whole-heartedly) the on-line app/user management function should/must be re-instated. BT is supposed to be a world-class communications company, yet seems to be shooting itself in the foot over this!! BTW, there are numerous other instances of poor communication practice too!!!
Come on BT proudly fly the flag for Smart Talk....

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Smart Talk support

@RG58wrote:

Hi all; having recently found myself in a village with no mobile signal, decided to look into WFi Calling. Bought new phone (several over last few weeks as all had issues!) including one from BT which was supposedly fully setup for it. Tested a few times in similar no-signal location, but with BT WiFi Fon connection. On each occassion the built-in WiFi Calling failed to make the call. However, after finding Smart Talk, that app connected instantly every time - literally within a second of hitting the call button, I heard the other phone finging and subequently had clear conversation.
The other day, after changing phones again, I tried to get Smart Talk registered on the new phone. Forgot about disabling it on the previous one, so looked up how to do it on-line. Nothing appeared, so rang help desk. Spoke to very nice lady who was surprised to find the 'help' was out-of-date. After conferring with a colleague, she informed me that, not only was the app not being further developed or supported, but incredulously the on-line user management facility was removed. How stupid (she agreed with that)!!
My experience convinces me that a) built-in WiFi Calling is not in the slightest reliable of even functional (0% success in my case) and b) Smart Talk app is superb (100% success rate). Why oh why are BT effectively shelving the app (which I think is awesome) when it's 'replacement' is so defective and unrelaible. At the very least (and the BT helpdesk lady agreed with me whole-heartedly) the on-line app/user management function should/must be re-instated. BT is supposed to be a world-class communications company, yet seems to be shooting itself in the foot over this!! BTW, there are numerous other instances of poor communication practice too!!!
Come on BT proudly fly the flag for Smart Talk....

Unfortunately, the ship that is proudly flying the flag for BT Smart talk, has sailed!

Or to be more precise, my understanding is that Smart Talk is no longer available to new customers and will be withdrawn for existing customers in December 2018.

Although BT are attempting to position it as such, wi-fi calling is NOT a replacement for Smart Talk, nor a justification for removing Smart Talk. (However, this is the line they are spinning internally to BT staff).

Regarding "reliability" of wi-fi calling versus smart talk then perhaps you need a statistically larger sample to draw conclusions! That said, I have had connection issues with each on occasion, and more often than not in my experience it's down to the quality of the wi-fi you're hooking up to and/or the local network to which you're connecting.

0 Ratings