Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob36
Contributor
Message 11 of 63

Re: BT SmartHub6 Connection Routinely Dropping

Go to solution

Hmm the router itself seems great, no reboots.

However my connection has dropped a few times, (and done so in a chain as in the other logs).

It's now synced at half it's upload speed and below the minimum I should get for my download. 😞

I'd report this to BT but meh I know what they're like with just telling to do factory resets etc.

The only complaints I have with the TP Link itself is there's no uptime counter, so it's hard to actually see when it's gone down and how many times, and also there's a limit of 16 ports for forwarding.

1.JPG

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 12 of 63

Go to solution

Well the TP-Link Archer gets good reviews especially from HERE as being a better replacement for a BT HH.

Have you checked you are on the latest firmware as it will not do it automatically.

Your download stats look fine and your upload gives an indication of possible noise ingress, unortunately ISPs don't support upload problems, all they are interested in is headline download speed. I can't see BT looking into it for you.

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 13 of 63

Go to solution

Well it was sinking at 80-89 before ,(with 74 ish actual download, my stated "minimum").

And shame about Upload since a lot of games and apps rely on that just as much.

Yeah I clicked the Update Firmware button and it said it was all up to date, as soon as I put it in. I know it's a good router as somoene else in my family uses one, this seems to just be weirdness with the connection itself.

Dunno why it does the cycled reconnect (as ya can see in the HH logs), never had that sorta problem on my old ADSL at least.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 14 of 63

Go to solution

Clicking on the firmware update button will not work, it's a known bug. Search on site instead and do it via USB.

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 15 of 63

Go to solution

Cheers for that, but it seems to have the latest, (I downloaded and checked the version).

Besides those two points about the Uptime and Port limit, it seems great. The log is a tad harder to understand than the HH6 though.

It's just a shame there's obv something up with the connection causing it to reconnect in cycles till it settles, but strange heh. Exactly the same problem I had with the HH6.

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 16 of 63

Go to solution

Heeeerrrree we go again.

ALL **bleep** DAY it's been dropping. Sometimes it doesn't even stay up for a few minutes. I've just counted NINETEEN disconnects in two hours from my logs.

For months I had a completely stable connection with no drops at all, now the last few weeks it's been doing the typical thing again, just having bouts of dropped connections. Nothing has changed, I'm also still using the TP-Link Archer VR2600, so it's obviously not the router at fault as I had the same issue with the SmartHub. This phone line and everything was only even installed 3-4 years ago! And I've only been on Infinity 2 since August too.

Can anyone advise what I'm supposed to be doing here? I'm a bit dreading phoning up and getting Panjeet telling me to factory reset everything, then just leaving me in the dumps with a £100 quid engineer visit for an intermittent problem.

I've tried the quiet line test, but aside from a small whine now and then (might be my ears), I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be listening for. Is it supposed to be SUPER LOUD crackling or hissing or what?

All my devices are plugged in by ethernet straight to the router, which is itself plugged straight into the Master socket (using a filter of course).

As you can see, my stats aren't fantastic now. It's dropped a tonne just today. Usually it starts playing silly buggers whenever the Upload goes above 10, but today it's been doing it all day regardless.

Here's the Router Log for between 5:20pm and 7:20pm today: https://www.sendspace.com/file/jgit4g

Stats (TP-Link Archer VR2600):

TPPArcherStats.JPG

Disconnection Message:

Disconnect.JPG

What I should be getting.. (Even though I never got higher than 74 download, which is my bare minimum according to the order e-mail..):

ADSL.JPG

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 17 of 63

Go to solution

Check for noise on the line 17070 any noise report a line fault no mention of broadband.

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 18 of 63

Go to solution

Thanks, I've seen posts saying that actually, I presume that's the best way to get them to treat it as a fault, rather than go through the router rigmarole, aye?

Also what sort of "noise" should I be listening for, I've been doing the quiet line test at the time of it dropping, but I'm not sure whether it's a LOUD full-on crackly interference noise or just a slight, quiet background hiss / whine I should be listening for. 

Are there any examples of what I need to listen for? Obv something is making it unstable at certain times.

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 19 of 63

Go to solution

Definitely seems to be an intermittent high pitched wine, though not sure whether that's just my cordless phones. Bit of hissing maybe?

Also where do I report that to, and I presume I just say "noise on the line"?

Tried to record it, but all my phones do is save that to the answering machine as a message, so bit hard to pull it off. As to noise, would the other party hear it just the same? As I could try phoning the house from my mobile and recording it from there if so.

Again though I'm a bit unsure exactly what type of "noise" I should be listening for, be great if someone had some examples.

It dropped 19 times again (though that may be the max my log can store) in 4 hours this time, grr.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 20 of 63

Go to solution

For the sake of a fiver go to a well known catalog store and get a corded handset.

The quiet line test should be silent, no noise of any type whatsoever.

0 Ratings