Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob36
Contributor
Message 21 of 63

Re: BT SmartHub6 Connection Routinely Dropping

Go to solution

Oh alright then, I wasn't sure whether it had to be really overbearing crackling / interference, rather than just a light hissing or whine. It usually sounds like really far away "waves" or a flowing noise, with a really high pitch whine (like a coil noise on a faulty PSU or capacitor) at some intervals.

Hmm I'll try that then, cheers. If I do detect any noise (I presume so), where exactly do I report it, and what? I presume just say "There's noise on my line, causing interference".

0 Ratings
MJ1987
Beginner
Message 22 of 63

Go to solution
Bob36 - with the BT Hub6 around the time of your comment it was to my knowledge still at the "experimental" stage. All issues reported around the time were noted and appreciated to help resolve them for the future.
Maybe request a new router if you haven't done so already and if it were me, definitely change the micro filter connected. They do not have a lengthy life span and are known to be prone to faults and some cases are the main cause.
Once these changes are made of the problem persists then in my opinion there is a slight fault condition on your line resulting that the issues are continuous. The only solution for this is for an engineer to attend and fix what fault there is
0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 23 of 63

Go to solution

Unfortunately the exact same issue is still happening with the TP-Link Archer, so that says to me it isn't a router issue.

Is the SmartHub better now? Or haven't they got around to improving it yet.

It could be good to replace the filter though, although it's only 3 years old, do I request BT send another? I'm unsure what number is best to call on nowadays.

I'll try a cordless phone at the weekend, it's good to know that the line should be COMPLETELY silent.

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 24 of 63

Go to solution

Just tried with a cordless BT Duet 210 phone. Definitely sounds like there's a constant background hiss / whooshing sound. Sorta like the quiet sound of fast rain outside, or air con in an office turned up. The sound comes on as soon as I press a button on the phone and start dialing, as well as on the quiet line test.

This gets slightly louder / more intense at the times when the connection drops. I presume this definitely signals a line fault then aye?

Do any of yuou have any advice on how / where to report this?

Thanks for the help btw, driving both of us who live her absolutely barmy again with the constant drops.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 63

Go to solution
phone 151 and report a noisy line with NO mention of broadband in the call the line should be totally silent
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 63

Go to solution

@Bob36 wrote:

Just tried with a cordless BT Duet 210 phone. Definitely sounds like there's a constant background hiss / whooshing sound. Sorta like the quiet sound of fast rain outside, or air con in an office turned up. The sound comes on as soon as I press a button on the phone and start dialing, as well as on the quiet line test.

This gets slightly louder / more intense at the times when the connection drops. I presume this definitely signals a line fault then aye?

That sound more like a missing or incorrectly situated microfilter, and not a line fault.

You need to check this first, otherwise you will be charged.

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if you still get the noise on the phone.

Make sure that nothing else is plugged into your phone line.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 27 of 63

Go to solution

Hmm certainly neither of those, I'm definitely using a filter. Faulty is a possibility though.

I tried the test socket, and the quiet line test (corded phone). Speeds were around the same as what my router is currently synced at. With the quiet line test though it was actually a tad noiser than the standard line. The low "whoosh" noise was very slightly louder, and I also heard the high-pitched whine too (intermittent), and a crackle or two.

Here's a pic of how it's set up, basically the phone and router plugged into the filter, and the filter plugged into the (currently) test socket (not rocket science heh. Also the spare plug you see is from the cordless phone I took out):

https://ibb.co/nbYhWF

Here's how it's wired, don't know whether that's alright or no, this was put in by the BT engineer in March 3 years ago:

https://ibb.co/hUFkka

I don't use any other sockets or wiring, everything goes straight into the router, which goes into the filter, which goes into the Master.

I could try reporting a fault and first getting them to send a new filter I guess, then forcing further action if that doesn't help. Same number yeah?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 63

Go to solution

I cannot recognise that socket, it looks like part of an SSFP, with the main part missing. That is evident on the second picture where its just the bottom part of on of these

newnte.jpg

The wiring on the back would normally go to an extension.

It looks all wrong, so I cannot really suggest anything, apart from asking for a visit.

PS Its better if you upload images to your forum gallery, and not to external sites.

Here is how to post pictures.

https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 29 of 63

Go to solution

Strange, I'll certainly get it reported then. I'll try a new filter first, and then if that doesn't work, get them to sort it.

Tried uploading the pics to here but for some reason it's now saying the max file size is 333 lol, always worked in the past.

My socket is this one, looks like the one you posted, but without the top socket:

https://ibb.co/c7SjTv

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 63

Go to solution

@Bob36 wrote:

My socket is this one, looks like the one you posted, but without the top socket:

https://ibb.co/c7SjTv

I cannot understand why there is no test socket, as that bottom section should plug into a back plate, where the main incoming line terminates.

Something is wrong with the wiring, or that is not the master socket, but an extension instead.

Are you sure that is the only socket, and its the first one that the external line comes into?

That certainly looks like an extension socket.

0 Ratings