Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
egros
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Smarthub 6

Anyone else having a strange problem?

Had my HH6 for about 6 weeks now.

Roughly every other day, it loses internet connection.

When I examing its internal log I see

17:47:55, 23 Sep.,A WiFi device <20:16:D8:19:DF:3C> has successfully connected to SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV2G])

17:47:55, 23 Sep.,Device <20:16:D8:19:DF:3C> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV2G])

00:05:18, 01 Jan.,[DeviceConnected] MAC Address:20:16:D8:19:DF:3C Host Name: DESKTOP-DM9MJOD IP Address: 192.168.1.64, lease duration is 86400 seconds.

00:05:18, 01 Jan.,The DHCP options that are offered by the device (id:2): DiscoverOptions: | DiscoverOption55: | RequestOptions: 53,61,50,12,81,60,55 | RequestOption55: 1,3,6,15,31,33,43,44,46,47,121,249,252 | HostName: DESKTOP-DM9MJOD | VendorId: MSFT 5.0

-------------------------((Lots more entries here))----------------------------------

00:00:36, 01 Jan.,The Modem has successfully powered up

00:00:24, 01 Jan.,WAN: ethernet as LAN

17:37:39, 23 Sep.,VLAN VLAN_DATA disconnected

17:37:39, 23 Sep.,System Error Failed SD-100 (1)

The clock seems to reset and it goes on for around 15 min's. Trouble is it knocks out my other connected items, printer etc and then they need rebooting to regain connection?

Eric

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Smarthub 6

The clock resetting means the router has rebooted, not simply lost the Internet connection. Computers use 'epoch' time which starts 00:00:00 01-Jan-1970. When the hub reboots it shows the time from 0-seconds epoch, until it connects to a time server to get the current time.

The home hub 6 seems to have lots of problems at the moment. If you've another hub / router you might want to revert to that device. Otherwise it's a case of waiting til BT releases new firmware to fix the problems.
trapdoor
Expert
Message 3 of 8

Strange problems, Oh yes.

I have an excellent Infinity connection - I'm within spitting distance of the street cab and my max available sync speed is well over 120 meg and I'm on fastpath (before any of the usual suspects pops up and cries 'line noise').

Random reboots of the Hub 6 which I reckon is to do with the hub just running out of resources or just pegging it - usually happens if downloading something or streaming something.

Event log is meaningless as you just get something like...

00:00:37, 01 Jan. Modem has successfully powered up

00:00:25, 01 Jan. WAN: ethernet as LAN 

20:27:19, 26 Sep. IGMP join received for group 234.81.130.240 on interface eth1

So as can be seen, probably either a Vision+ channel change happened and the box threw a wobbler, but it doesnt say why, it just 'looks' like the hub had been powered off, back on and it had started up. 

Tonight, it ran through four cycles of this reboot around 20:30, so the hub would slooooooowly come up, orange light on for ages, wifi eventually coming up, internet connectivity back, never a blue led and unable to access the manager UI, IGMP would come back and Vision+ would then start playing out the multicast channels, and bang - green LED and back to a reboot cycle, Vision+ reporting no internet, wifi down etc etc ... after about 20 minutes of this rebooting it finally came back to a blue LED. However unable to access the manager UI for probably another 15 minutes, just get a blank page when connecting to it.

I also still appear to be on an old version of firmware 

Firmware version: SG4B100021EC
Firmware updated: 12/05/16

Sure I read somewhere that the firmware date was JUNE...

Think I'm going to have to phone BT and ask for a Hub5 - annoyed as I paid for this damned thing hoping to alleviate the multicast flooding on my LAN that the Hub4B used to cause when it went mental, about every 3 or 4 days - only fix for this was a reboot. It certainly has stopped the IGMP flooding but has now introduced far too many other issues. And as requested, I sent my old Hub4B back....
0 Ratings
allandales
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

hi

I would love to know if you resolved this issue. I am on my second HH6 and have had to config all devices I can with a static ip. All my home devices lose dhcp address periodically or after goinig into sleep mode. This is frustrating as printers and other music devices do not have this option.

i have requested BT send me a hh5, But would love to know if you resolved this issue!

regards

0 Ratings
egros
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

The firmware on my hub is SG4B1000 dated 18-Dec-2016.

Since that update many of the problems have disappeared so something must have been corrected.

I still have to reboot my printer if the hub does go off as that does not reconnect!

Also, I do get a problem where the hub looses connection, probably every couple of weeks and goes orange. I then find I have to reboot the hub to fix it.

Major problem to me (and I have yet to ring BT), is that the speed has dropped from 51.9 to around 29?

It was at 51.9 since BT upped the speed sometime last Autumn and dropped mid December so it may have been the update!

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 6 of 8

@egros wrote:

The firmware on my hub is SG4B1000 dated 18-Dec-2016.

Since that update many of the problems have disappeared so something must have been corrected.

update!

What comes after the SG4B1000? I think the most recent firmware reported here is SG4B10002244 but there may be a later version by now.

p

0 Ratings
Stesmith
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Had similar problems with HH6 for 5 weeks. BT sent me a replacement which lasted 24 hrs before failing. Very frustrating for a long time. Toady bought TP-LINK VDSL Modem router and all is fine again. All devices, and we have a lot, are connecting no problem. Cost £35 from Argos.
0 Ratings
egros
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

@prinknash wrote:

What comes after the SG4B1000? I think the most recent firmware reported here is SG4B10002244 but there may be a later version by now.

Yes, mine does say SG4B10002244, didn't notice the last bit when I looked!

0 Ratings