Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
alan4861050
Beginner
Message 1 of 65

BT Smarttalk security.

Could the Smarttalk app have a PIN or password added to it that would need to be entered before any calls are made?

It seems there's a security flaw in that anyone stealing my phone could use it to make unlimited calls charged to my landline until I went into my account and blocked it.

I'm on a PAYG tarrif, so the liability there is only up to the remaining minutes that I've topped-up but I don't see any limit if the calls are made via Smarttalk.

Also, can the notification icon be removed?

0 Ratings
64 REPLIES 64
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 65

Re: BT Smarttalk security.

do you not protect your phone with a pin number so if it's stolen then access is denied.  this would then enable you to go to MYBT and delete the phone from smarttalk.

the notification that smarttalk is enable is only when I use it and I find useful - it disappears from my notification if I don't use smarttalk for about 30min may be shorter as not timed it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

do you not protect your phone with a pin number so if it's stolen then access is denied.  this would then enable you to go to MYBT and delete the phone from smarttalk.

That is easily bypassed on an android phone:(

the notification that smarttalk is enable is only when I use it and I find useful - it disappears from my notification if I don't use smarttalk for about 30min may be shorter as not timed it

I never knew it would disappear:o. As you know during the trial, it used to stay permanently, then they sorted it so it went as soon as you ended the call and then it came back again on the last trial version. When I've finished I always force close straight away.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
testman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 65

What about a pattern lock?  Is that easily bypassed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 65

@testman wrote:

What about a pattern lock?  Is that easily bypassed?

I don't know:(

The only reason I knew about the 4 digit lock was when I read about it on someone's blog - it did link to a how to youtube video.

0 Ratings
alan4861050
Beginner
Message 6 of 65

I don't lock my whole phone with a PIN or pattern as I often need to open it quickly with one hand.

I use it for navigation "up in the hills", I can unlock it with one hand, glance at a map and lock it again very quickly & easily. With a PIN or pattern lock on it, I find it needs two hands.

Also, as someone else pointed out, it's pretty easy to bypass if you know what you're up to.

Aha ... I've just noticed that the notification icon has indeed disappeared, must be on a timer.

What's the logic in that then?

0 Ratings
testman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 65

App is now unloaded from memory.  Which is a good thing - there's no point in it sitting in memory doing not much at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 65

I realised you can bypass the pin but not everyone who finds/steals a phone will know that and that should give you enough time to delete from MYBT - I would be more concerned about other data on my phone before I thought of smarttalk.

the notification has always disappeared if not used for about 30min even in the trial

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 65

@testman wrote:

App is now unloaded from memory.  Which is a good thing - there's no point in it sitting in memory doing not much at all.

I didn't mean to scare you:(

Having the app installed isn't as bad as you may think. Should you ever lose your phone and it got in to the wrong hands, chances are they may make an odd call:(. If they used the app, you'd get a printable record of whom they called - you could then pass this on to the police:)

It's very hard to get the call info if you're a PAYG mobile customer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

the notification has always disappeared if not used for about 30min even in the trial

It didn't on mine:(

I guess it could be an android version/mobile brand thing?:|

My battery went from 24 hours use to 12 hours use when the app was running, even when the app wasn't used. Only force closing mine would cure it.

0 Ratings