cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 65

Re: BT Smarttalk security.

@DS  When the icon disappears the app stops running. Looks as though the persistence of the icon and your battery depletion are hand in hand.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 65

There must be a little bit of it 'still alive' all the time, or we wouldn't have to select dialer or the app when trying to make a call.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 65

DS

you can see it when you select a contact from contact list (not smarttalk contact list) but when you try and phone selecting smarttalk you cannot connect and then the smarttalk notification appears suggesting app starts. you can then repeat phoning the same contact and it will now dial as normal using smarttalk - or at least that is how it works on my S2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 65

My HTC behaves exactly as it always did unless I launch the app. I can only access the SmartTalk dialler by tapping the app icon; the option does not appear if I use the phone's own icon or select a number from the contacts list.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 15 of 65

@pottyperson wrote:

My HTC behaves exactly as it always did unless I launch the app. I can only access the SmartTalk dialler by tapping the app icon; the option does not appear if I use the phone's own icon or select a number from the contacts list.

Between all the posters we may have discovered a weakness, but not a serious one.

As DS says you can force a close of the app. I did it by (HTC) settings>manage apps>BT SmartTalk>force stop. It's a long winded approach though.

I assume that this is DS's method.

It's not a good idea to put a permanent extra drain on the battery, so I have set a routine in the past of shutting down "wifi" and "mobile" processes from the main screen, if the phone is to be left idle. The phone memory will presumably still be in use by BT SmartTalk, however.

There are some moans on the google play reviews about the notification be there too long and not being able to stop the app. Is a there a need for update to the app, I wonder?, although it's still early days.

Mine's HTC Desire 1st issue BTW.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

DS

you can see it when you select a contact from contact list (not smarttalk contact list) but when you try and phone selecting smarttalk you cannot connect and then the smarttalk notification appears suggesting app starts. you can then repeat phoning the same contact and it will now dial as normal using smarttalk - or at least that is how it works on my S2

After looking for a contact on my phones contact list, I click the call button - I then have 2 options pop up, normal (dialler) or via the app. I've never tried selecting smartwifi unless I opened the app first.

I was hoping that once I'd force closed the app, it wouldn't keep bringing up the app as a choice. If I call a mobile I use my mobile number, if I call a landline (or 0800 etc), when I bothered to use the app (I had nothing but hassle with it), then I'd rarely use the app or just grab the landline phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 65

@pottyperson wrote:

Not 'ere. I have to manually select an option - dialler or smartwifi (even with the app closed).

0 Ratings
alan4861050
Beginner
Message 18 of 65

You'll get the option to use Smarttalk even if the App isn't currently running (The Android O/S will start it up in response).

A Menu->Exit option would probably be a good idea.

Do the people developing the App see this forum, or is there some other way of getting feedback to them?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 65

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@pottyperson wrote:

Between all the posters we may have discovered a weakness, but not a serious one.

As DS says you can force a close of the app. I did it by (HTC) settings>manage apps>BT SmartTalk>force stop. It's a long winded approach though.

I assume that this is DS's method.

It's not a good idea to put a permanent extra drain on the battery, so I have set a routine in the past of shutting down "wifi" and "mobile" processes from the main screen, if the phone is to be left idle. The phone memory will presumably still be in use by BT SmartTalk, however.

There are some moans on the google play reviews about the notification be there too long and not being able to stop the app. Is a there a need for update to the app, I wonder?, although it's still early days.

Mine's HTC Desire 1st issue BTW.

Yes

and

Yes imho - app closed should stay closed and (as imj has kindly pointed out and I didn't know) the app should not be running for 30 mins. I did have the trial app and at one point the app wasn't always on the upper left of my (android) screen. This was way before the 30 mins had elapsed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 65

@alan4861050 wrote:

You'll get the option to use Smarttalk even if the App isn't currently running (The Android O/S will start it up in response).

A Menu->Exit option would probably be a good idea.

Do the people developing the App see this forum, or is there some other way of getting feedback to them?

There is a BT rep whom dealt with this with our CL's on their VIP Lounge - maybe he could be asked to post on this open forum;)

0 Ratings