Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 65

Re: BT Smarttalk security.

@DS wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

DS

you can see it when you select a contact from contact list (not smarttalk contact list) but when you try and phone selecting smarttalk you cannot connect and then the smarttalk notification appears suggesting app starts. you can then repeat phoning the same contact and it will now dial as normal using smarttalk - or at least that is how it works on my S2

After looking for a contact on my phones contact list, I click the call button - I then have 2 options pop up, normal (dialler) or via the app. I've never tried selecting smartwifi unless I opened the app first.

I was hoping that once I'd force closed the app, it wouldn't keep bringing up the app as a choice. If I call a mobile I use my mobile number, if I call a landline (or 0800 etc), when I bothered to use the app (I had nothing but hassle with it), then I'd rarely use the app or just grab the landline phone.

if I select a contact from normal contact list I get the same choice of phone, smarttalk, viber and sipdroid if I have that running.  If I select smarttalk then there is no connection made but the smartalk notification after a few seconds appears in the top left. If I then select same contact and smartatlk again then it connects using smarttalk.  after about 30min the smarttalk notification will disappear if I have not used smarttalk again.   If I then select another contact the procedure starts again.  I use an S2

my wife uses an HTC desire and if you select a contact she does not see smarttalk as an option if she has not started smarttalk first.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 65

@DS wrote:

@alan4861050 wrote:

You'll get the option to use Smarttalk even if the App isn't currently running (The Android O/S will start it up in response).

A Menu->Exit option would probably be a good idea.

Do the people developing the App see this forum, or is there some other way of getting feedback to them?

There is a BT rep whom dealt with this with our CL's on their VIP Lounge - maybe he could be asked to post on this open forum;)

I will make the comment of the CL forum and see if anything happens.

I think there may be someone on the smartalk post who has something to do with the app - maybe I am jumping to conclusions but replies suggest ajm03u has some inside knowledge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

@DS wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

DS

you can see it when you select a contact from contact list (not smarttalk contact list) but when you try and phone selecting smarttalk you cannot connect and then the smarttalk notification appears suggesting app starts. you can then repeat phoning the same contact and it will now dial as normal using smarttalk - or at least that is how it works on my S2

After looking for a contact on my phones contact list, I click the call button - I then have 2 options pop up, normal (dialler) or via the app. I've never tried selecting smartwifi unless I opened the app first.

I was hoping that once I'd force closed the app, it wouldn't keep bringing up the app as a choice. If I call a mobile I use my mobile number, if I call a landline (or 0800 etc), when I bothered to use the app (I had nothing but hassle with it), then I'd rarely use the app or just grab the landline phone.

if I select a contact from normal contact list I get the same choice of phone, smarttalk, viber and sipdroid if I have that running.  If I select smarttalk then there is no connection made but the smartalk notification after a few seconds appears in the top left. If I then select same contact and smartatlk again then it connects using smarttalk.  after about 30min the smarttalk notification will disappear if I have not used smarttalk again.   If I then select another contact the procedure starts again.  I use an S2

my wife uses an HTC desire and if you select a contact she does not see smarttalk as an option if she has not started smarttalk first.

I also have sipdroid force closed, should've mentioned that too I guess but this one doesn't keep popping up;)

Having smarttalk pop when not needed and what you have to do seems a little long winded to me:(

As your boss doesn't see this, it's got to be a phone and android version thing (as I mentioned before)

Back to the drawing board with this me thinks, or just release the code and we'll use sipdroid for this too!:D

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

@DS wrote:

@alan4861050 wrote:

You'll get the option to use Smarttalk even if the App isn't currently running (The Android O/S will start it up in response).

Do the people developing the App see this forum, or is there some other way of getting feedback to them?

There is a BT rep whom dealt with this with our CL's on their VIP Lounge - maybe he could be asked to post on this open forum;)

I will make the comment of the CL forum and see if anything happens.

I think there may be someone on the smartalk post who has something to do with the app - maybe I am jumping to conclusions but replies suggest ajm03u has some inside knowledge

I was thinking of the guy with the smarttalk logo, but yep I've noticed that too;)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 65

DS

I don't access the smarttalk app as I described after the first time all I was trying to do was show the app was not active even though you could see it when selecting a contact.  if I use smarttalk then I use the app.

It does seem from posts that HTC phones don't show smarttalk when contact selected unlike my S2

I have sent a PM to person who posted on CL forum and see if anything comes from it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 26 of 65

@DS wrote:

@alan4861050 wrote:

It's getting late and I don't want to interfere. Sorry to be butting in.

The app doesn't start on my Desire unless you tell it to. Press the dialler and there's no choice, you obtain a normal mobile call, even with wifi enabled. How did I do this?

Start the SmartTalk app. keyboard appears and notification.

Close the app on the display (left arrow/search button)., the notification is still there, and presumably the app is still running

Start the normal phone and select own home phone number.

Call .

There's no choice it dials a normal mobile call.

It will become clearer with practise for me at least.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

DS

I don't access the smarttalk app as I described after the first time all I was trying to do was show the app was not active even though you could see it when selecting a contact.  if I use smarttalk then I use the app.

It does seem from posts that HTC phones don't show smarttalk when contact selected unlike my S2

I have sent a PM to person who posted on CL forum and see if anything comes from it

Ah, I see;)

But as I said earlier, if the app wasn't active at all, even after a force close, should some of us see BTSmartTalk as an option when dialling out? Clearly not if HTC phones don't show it:|

Mines an Huawei phone plastered rebranded in a logo which starts with a V, but is rooted and unlocked to any network

I hope he does reply

Sorry to the OP for taking this way off topic:(

(I wonder if bits should be moved to their own thread?)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 65

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@DS wrote:

@alan4861050 wrote:

It's getting late and I don't want to interfere. Sorry to be butting in.

Nah, it's good to talk:D

The app doesn't start on my Desire unless you tell it to.

Same here, but read on

Press the dialler and there's no choice, you obtain a normal mobile call, even with wifi enabled.

Nope, I get an option

How did I do this?

Start the SmartTalk app. keyboard appears and notification.

Yep, I see this too when I start the app

Close the app on the display (left arrow/search button)., the notification is still there, and presumably the app is still running

And again yep I get this too

Start the normal phone and select own home phone number.

If I select dialler, then all's as expected

I guess based on imj's post, it would start the app if I selected the BTSmartwifi.

Call .

Either method (mobile or app) give out my mobile number, which is fine by me:)

There's no choice it dials a normal mobile call.

As above, I have to manually select an option (which is another key press than before the app)

It will become clearer with practise for me at least.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 65

DS

my S2 is unlocked and rooted - coincidence?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 65

I've checked my wife's Xperia and she gets the choices which my Desire does not offer. I too can only surmise that the app's behaviour varies between phones, with HTC being the odd one out.

Actually, I prefer having to have to launch the app deliberately to use SmartTalk. Guards against using it accidentally for a call to a mobile, which would cost on the home account. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings