Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 65

Re: BT Smarttalk security.

@imjolly wrote:

DS

my S2 is unlocked and rooted - coincidence?

Hmm, could be.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 65

@pottyperson wrote:

I've checked my wife's Xperia and she gets the choices which my Desire does not offer. I too can only surmise that the app's behaviour varies between phones, with HTC being the odd one out.

Actually, I prefer having to have to launch the app deliberately to use SmartTalk. Guards against using it accidentally for a call to a mobile, which would cost on the home account. 

I guess the next Q should be what version of android is in use?:|

fwiw, mines 2.2.1 (locked with custom firmware and system updates deactivated)

Good point, at least I know for sure if I'm using my mobile and not the app when dialling out.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 65

@pottyperson wrote:

I've checked my wife's Xperia and she gets the choices which my Desire does not offer. I too can only surmise that the app's behaviour varies between phones, with HTC being the odd one out.

Actually, I prefer having to have to launch the app deliberately to use SmartTalk. Guards against using it accidentally for a call to a mobile, which would cost on the home account. 

you could always bar mobile calls just in case

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 65

I'm using ICS 4.1   so not that

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Fouzan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 65

We have tested battery use quite rigorously so wouldn't expect that to be an issue. What device do you use?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 36 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

I'm using ICS 4.1   so not that

Ok, so I tried leaving the app running and was planning to time how long it took to switch off...

Had 2 error messages

1. (didn't get time to copy the first one, but it was a long message)

2. Activity BT SamrtTalk (In application BT SmartTalk) is not responding

Will try again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 65

@Fouzan wrote:
We have tested battery use quite rigorously so wouldn't expect that to be an issue. What device do you use?

Hi Fouzan and welcome to the commoners forum:D

Well, prior to being told (by Imjolly) that the app was now designed to automatically power off after 20 mins (or so), I used to give the icon around 5 mins and then force closed it assuming that the battery drain wasn't fixed.

Having had the app running for no more than 10 mins before this initial post, I went to wake the screen to see if it was still there in the upper left hand corner and the app crashed (as posted above).

I've restarted the app and will leave it idling and see when it goes off.

It turned itself off, saving the battery:),  after 6 mins. Nothing is done with the app.

edit

I'm getting odd results:o

After testing this many times, with the app running but not in use, the icon (and the app (13mb file) being checked via 'manage apps' -> 'running services', stops from anywhere from 3 mins to 8m30s.

edit

Ok, just had 15m08s.

edit

now 15m30s

Not sure what's going on here

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 38 of 65

@DS wrote:

@pottyperson wrote:

I guess the next Q should be what version of android is in use?:|

fwiw, mines 2.2.1 (locked with custom firmware and system updates deactivated)

Xperia is 4.0.4, HTC 2.3.5. Doesn't appear to be that.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

@pottyperson wrote:

you could always bar mobile calls just in case

Can't find how to do that on the app. It's not possible on the home line without barring national calls also is it?

Incidentally, I've ticked the app settings to default dailling of 08 numbers but it doesn't override the native phone.

(Sorry, this is further off topic. We'll need a SmartTalk board soon!) 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 65

Potty, you need to do it via the bt Smarttalk web page,

There are 5 levels of barring per user as below

All Allowed
Premium
Premium + international
Premium + international + Mobile
All Barred