Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 3

BT Speed Test- Clarity Please!

Hi,

I read with interest all of the posts regarding the  BT Speedtester, and I've done done my own research, so I will sumarise my thoughts thus:

1. The Internet is a congested medium, once your traffic/request leaves BT's network it is at the mercy of a million factors
  2. You cant download from a Sinclair Specturm at 100Mb- The remote  host is inevitably over commited and 40/100Mb connections will max out even the best website or remote host!

So, accepting all of the above, my understanding of the BT speedtester is that it should test the connection that Openreach provide, which is fundementally, the connectivity between Your house and the exchange. Once you leap off into your providers network (BT Retail,Sky MuppetNet or whoever) your throughput will be at the mercy of a million other factors.

So, if the BT Speedtesters purpurpose is to test the network prior to backhaul why am I seeing 27Mb downstream this evening?

Oh, I'm on Option 3 FTTP, so there should zero  degradation between ONT/OLT.

My service is actually excellent, and using Speedtest.net I get relatively consistent readings 103b down

CAN OPENREACH PLEASE CLARIFY WHAT THE BT SPEEDTEST IS ACTUALLY TESTING PLEASE

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
DeanM
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Speed Test- Clarity Please!

The BT Speedtester tests the connection over BT Wholesale's network i.e. the backhaul between the exchange where Openreach's network terminates and the general internet. If you run a traceroute for example, all the "bt.net/bt.com" hops are on BT Wholesale's network.

On a side note, there's currently work ongoing to improve the speedtester which may be why some users are having problems with it. I personally am having no issues at home with my speed/experience on the BT speedtester (on the rare occasion that I decide to test my connection).

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Speed Test- Clarity Please!

Thanks Dean,

This is very helpful, although as the biggest problem in speed varieance is as a result of the vDSL line charateristics NeXt/Fext, attenuation it would be really useful to be able to see the throughput to the exchange, as well as the overall throughput including the backhaul. I'm not if you know (or would be able to say), but is the backhaul part of the BTW offering/solution or would third paries be able to specify their own. I ask, because if its BTW I would expect that the backhaul would be managed to maintain a consistentcontention ratio, but if its left to the ISP the link could be under specifed/overcontended.

Hopefully the next version of speedtester will offer this service

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings