Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deezzaa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Speed Test says performance is poor

Go to solution

I've had Infinity since November and the increase in speed has been so-so. I ran the speed tool and got the following:

When you see a BT Diagnostic say "Could be improved" and "Poor", you naturally think something is wrong.

So I had an online "chat" with BT helpdesk which lasted over 2.5 hours of my life (which I'll never get back) during which they tried a lot of things before concluding "It's within limits".

Well the diagnostic tool did not say "it's within limits" it said "Could be improved" and "Poor".

Who is right? The official diagnostic tool or the helpcentre guys? Or both? It is within limits but tough luck, that's what you're getting...

What do I do now, or do just I put up with expensive wretched performance? Remember I'm paying exactly the same as those who are enjoying far faster speeds with BT Infinity.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Speed Test says performance is poor

Go to solution

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
Deezzaa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Here are the screen shots as requested:

Availability checker.JPG

Speed test.JPG

Home hub.JPG

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

can you please post the further diagnostics part of the speed test also the help desk page from the troubleshooting section of the hub manager

0 Ratings
Deezzaa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I hope this is what you want:

further testing1.JPG

Admin.JPG

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

It looks as though you have a fault on your line and DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has kicked in and lowered your speeds to try and maintain a connection. You noise margin is to high and the nice round numbers in you data rate would tend to confirm this.

You need to contact BT and ask them to send out an engineeer to investigate what the problem is.

0 Ratings
Deezzaa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
That's really helpful. Thanks for that.
Now why couldn't the on-line chat function (the "preferred" method) have been so efficient and saved me over 2 hours of frustration.
Now the problem is to try to find out how to contact them to send out an engineer...
0 Ratings