Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

BT Speed Test

Go to solution

Online speed test last night gave variable results so tried BT test available on My BT.

To my surprise it said it could not verfiy if I was using a BT Modem so no results. I only use HH5b with Infinity 1.

Today tried again and the test ran O.K. said the test was succesfull but gave no actual speed, what good is that?

I assume it was congestion last night but would be nice to get actual speed test result.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Speed Test

Go to solution

Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

the one from MY BT is just a pretty version full of unneeded graphics
0 Ratings
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
???
0 Ratings
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Sorry about that didn't scroll down!

Thanks for reply: test results 30.11Mbps Dowload

9.00Mbps upload

27.5-53.18 Acceptable

53.18  Profile

21.00 ms Ping

No fault with line so must be congestion.

I was checking because I normally run very close to 50Mbps perhaps people watching tennis via BT TV on on web.

0 Ratings
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Only getting 17.80 Mbps download at 20:00 this evening.

I was getting about 15Mbps before changing to fibre! Whats going on?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
Sounds like congestion there is nothing BT Retail can do or Openreach it is down to BT Wholesale who will be aware of the problem and working on a fix this however will take time all you can do is wait I am afraid
0 Ratings
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Well it just gets worse!

Between 7 and 12 Mbps this evening. My upload at 9Mbps is sometimes faster than download!

Don't think this is congestion.

Had online "chat" with BT help and the best he could get was 7.76Mbps he did many tests and said there was no network problems that he could see. Told me to do a reboot of router and said if we lost the "chat" he would ring me. Needless to say we did get disconnected from"chat" but he did not ring me so no surprise there then.

Where do I go from here?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
the help line cannot see network congestion they do not have those sort of tools available all you can do is wait for BT Wholesale to increase capacity you will not be the only person with this problem neither will BT Retail be the only provider suffering the same problem
0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

I agree with @john46

This does very much sound like Congestion, again as said already they cannot see congestion, But im sure a Moderator on here will pick this post up soon enough and inform wholesale for you that there is suspected congestion on the exchange in question which will expidite wholesale to increase capacity at the exchange in question.

Patience is called for here

JohnC2
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @Colly-FC Sorry you were not contacted back after the Chat ended.

It sounds like congestion but we will need to check this out further first. We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings