cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gouldyyyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

BT Speedtester Changes

BT Wholesale have changed their speedtester and this will require you to allow access to your java on your computer again, please do not reject the request otherwise a test will fail

Noticeable changes include:

• Changing of units from kbps to Mbps (I would imagine this makes it easier for them to measure the bigger sums instead of 80,000kbps it will be easier to display 80mbps).
  • The new addition of testing for additional services (for instance if you have BT VIsion) this is now optional whereas it used to be standard.
  • The system is now smoother and quicker.
  • There is only a 10 minute wait between tests instead of an hour.

Screenshots included below:

Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 10.25.55.png

Additional Service Tests: Notice differences including the QOS and Quality Service Test, they are different.

Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 10.12.14.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 10.12.38.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 10.27.21.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 10.13.58.png

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT Speedtester Changes

looks ok apart from it does not show connection speed which was helpful in tying it to router stats to make sure both run at same time.  Also noticed my download speed was above the acceptable range which I don't think happened with previous version

was quicker though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

yes much improved however would like the connection speed shown as well the QOS works well and yes much faster and the 10 minutes between much better than the hour wait
0 Ratings
gouldyyyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 26

There are still some bugs, like the performance test still times out too quickly, and the upload speed displayed on 21CN lines is a bug at 832kbps instead of whatever it should be.. And some of the tests failing, however the speed calculation formulae is much more accurate than the last one, it is now 96% accurate compared to 92% on the old platform, the java coding now used is also a lot smoother.
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 26

Thanks for the news gouldyyyy, It's very nice to see that BT have been doing some much needed work to the Speedtest platform.

Apart from the bugs and as others have mentioned, the lack of sync speed readings will be missed because it made diagnosing problems much quicker on the forums.

Lets hope they add it soon!

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

just noticed this http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-speedtester-not-working/td-p/405717/page/2 it appears on adsl max the connection speed shows up ??????????
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 26

Yeah they do. I'm not sure why they don't on 21CN though :S.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 26

A merge of ongoing Speedteser threads perhaps?

Being as screenies are on this one, I'll add that I have 2 options and not 1 as per the above

Speed2.JPG

Though it still fails

edit. close up of text

Speed2a.JPG

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
k0065126
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

I get one additional test to run - Premium, but it always fails this.

My latest attempt to run this test did not say it wanted to run an additional test but produced this :-

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 2 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

However when I checked the speed on speedtest.net and speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ they both showed it about 2.9Mbps, which is what speedtester.bt.com has given me on the occasions when I have it earlier today.

Viv

0 Ratings
gouldyyyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 26

I reckon BT is trying to lock the user out of the ADSL Stats.  Like with FTTC and things like that, you can't access the stats, maybe there going to do that from now on for everything.  For instance there internal speed checker, checks the connection speed without you even needing to access the stats and when it asks you to enter IP profile and downloaded speed, there is no option to enter the sync speed anymore.. That changed before the BT Wholesale speedtester changed, reckon theres some collabiration between the two companies.  I also reckon the next home hub/router will be able to combine FTTC/ADSL modem all into one, and you will be unable to access the stats.  That will be for staff that work at BT or any other ISP only.

FOr instance I asked for my CBUK/BBEU number last night and was denied access to it, because he would be breaching contractual terms.

And eventually they'll make it so you can only use the Home Hub with their service, with the eveer increasing inventive of ISP network level blocks and parental control, there will be no need to use alternative DNS services for things like this.  It's all the regulating of the internet, we were warned back off a few years ago.

0 Ratings