Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jon-with-issues
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Sport 4k UHD on Youview box - does it need enabling at the Exchange

Go to solution

I was told today when adding BT TV to my existing BT Sport (app and online) subscription, that I would still not be able to get BT Sport in 4k UHD as it is not enabled at the Exchange.

I already have BT Infinity, fibre in the house at up to 55Mbps, I have a 4k UHD TV, I have a BT UHD Youview box, I have the correct subscriptions (or I will when it goes live next week).  I can currently watch Netflix in 4k UHD streamed via the BT Youview box and my Humax Set top box and via the app within the TV, so I've got plenty of bandwidth.

It is correct that even with the correct level of Infinity, you cannot get BT Sport in 4k UHD if it is not enabled at the exchange and if so, how do you find out when it will be enabled.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
NeilO
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Sport 4k UHD on Youview box - does it need enabling at the Exchange

Go to solution

@Jon-with-issues welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. There is a minimum speed criteria that needs to be met before the UHD service can be ordered to protect the quality of the service. As it takes into consideration recording whilst watching UHD and also to allow you to use the internet at the same time. 

Can you enter your number in the speed availability checker and post the results ensuring to remove your telephone number as this will show us whats available for you. 

0 Ratings
Jon-with-issues
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response, here's the info from the checker, hope it makes sense to you. It was reformatted by the forum client I'm afraid, but still looks like you should be able to read it.

Thanks

Jon

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environment

Status

WBC FTTP Upto 330 Upto 30 -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Bridge Tap U              
VRI N              
NTEFaceplate N              
Last Test Date 19-05-2017              

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@Jon-with-issues Thanks for that. Do you have the FTTP broadband service? 

0 Ratings
Jon-with-issues
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

NeilO,

I'm not sure, what that is?

I have BT Infinity 1, I'm told that I can get up to 55Mbps, I recently did a test and found I was getting 38Mbps.  I have fibre into the house and the hub plugged straight into the fibre box and using 1GB BT Mini connectors to the TV.

I've signed up for BT TV Max package as well?

Hope this helps.

Jon

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@Jon-with-issues it means fibre to the premises which shows a max speed of 330Mb for your line.  If you have fttp it should be fast enough but you would need to speak with fibre sales team 0800 587 4787 to get that ordered.  For the UHD channels you need to go for the Total entertainment package rather than the Max package.

0 Ratings
Jon-with-issues
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

NeilO,

Again thanks for the reponse, I do appreciate your help but I must be a bit dim, can I clarify.....

I have FTTP, I have the Infinity 1 package with up to 55Mbps, which as I understand it is enough to stream UHD, so what do I need to order from the fibre sales team?

Also I was told by the BT TV call handler that I would get UHD with the Max package, perhaps I misunderstood, or was misled, but I can take that up with them.

But I was definitely told that she could not process an order that would enable me to get BT Sport in 4k UHD as it was not turned on at the exchange. is this incorrect?  From my understanding of our conversation, I just need enough bandwidth via FTTP, which I appear to have already.

If you agree that I have the requisite bandwidth and the installation infrastructure at my end, FTTP, Router, BT 1GB Mini Connection to my new 4K TV which is properly set-up as I'm watching Netflix in 4k UHD (the TV neatly shows the resolution and bandwidth being used, when I press the info button, as well as the image looking immaculate), then do you agree I just need to speak to the BT TV sales team and place an order for a product which will give me the BT 4K UHD TV service I require.

If so is there a number I can call, which might put me in touch with someone above a normal call handler who won't try to tell me that the function is not enabled at the exchange.

Thanks

Jon

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@Jon-with-issues Yes you got what I was trying to say. FTTP should have more than enough bandwidth for UHD and the checker shows multicast is available in your exchange, this is the technology used to provide the UHD and HD channels on BT TV. The plan you need for UHD is the Total Entertainment package.  The number you need to call is on my previous post.

I hope that helps?

Jon-with-issues
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

NeilO,

Thanks very much, that's what I thought this morning when I started trying to upgrade.

What I didn't know was that multicast was required at the exchange and does appear to be enabled.  However if this is not reflected on the BT TV Sales Advisors system, I suspect that I may have the same problem trying to place an order, but we'll give it a go.

Thanks again.

Jon

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@Jon-with-issues post back and let us know how you get on. 

0 Ratings