cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 36

BT Sport App Google Chromecast with Google TV keep losing 4K

Hi,

I recently signed up for BT Sport Monthly Pass and purchased a new "Google Chromecast with Google TV" which connected fine. When I try and watch football on BT Sport Ultimate it will buffer after a while and when I come out of it I can't get back in to 4K only HD.

When I run the BT Device checker it sometimes has a cross for 4K sometimes has a tick, but can only get back to 4K by restarting the chromecast and even that sometimes won't work.

BT Sport Ultimate always works when logging in on my phone which is connected to same WiFi, all other apps work fine.

Is there anything I can do to help this? Or do I need to return it and try an Amazon firestick or Roku streaming stick?

Thanks

Scott

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

Re: BT Sport App Google Chromecast with Google TV keep losing 4K

Chromecast with Google TV has a known bug - it decides on the capabilities of your display when it boots up. If your TV isn't switched on when it boots, it'll fail to offer full features in the BT Sport app.

I can't think why you wouldn't be able to get into Ultimate immediately after leaving the stream and trying to rejoin though, unless the event you were watching had just finished.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 36

Thanks Darren, TV is always turned on before booting it, so not sure what's causing it. But I guess the BT Sport app thinks my connection is not good enough for 4K so doesn't allow me to view it just HD. The Man Utd game tonight, was working fine then came out of the app at HT when I went back in for second half could only view BT Sport 1 HD 😞

Ran a speedtest from an app downloaded on the Chromecast and it showed 47mb download and 20mb upload, the dongle in my TV is about 3m from my router so should be fine.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 36

It never uses network speed when deciding whether to offer Ultimate or not. It's based on device capability, account eligibility, and event availability. It's there on the device checker as an indication of whether it's likely to work or not.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 36

Hmmm, wonder why I sometimes can't access BT Ultimate then?

Could you check everything is ok with my account please? I have PM'd you my BT ID.

Thanks 

Scott

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 36

On the device checker there are 3 columns indicating availability. If the account column is ticked there then your account is ok.
I'll not be at my desk until Tuesday. I can ask the team then if there are any potential reasons for it not being offered for the second half.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 36

OK thanks, appreciate the replies, yeah if I run the device checker again and again, the only one that changes is the 4K column, which is usually ticked but sometimes shows a cross. So thought it was not being offered due to this.

Are you saying BT Sport Ultimate should always be avaiilable even if the cross is shown under 4K, it may just buffer etc, but should always show BT Sport Utimate in bottom corner not BT Sport 1 HD (obviouly assuming its a game thats on Ultimate)

Will test again with the Man City game on Tuesday night.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 36

In the 4k column there are 3 rows - which rows are showing a cross against 4k?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 36

Only ever this one, but if i run it again and again sometimes it will be a tick sometimes a cross, but only ever that one changes. All other 8 are always ticked.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 11.48.44 PM.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 36

Ok so nothing that would stop the app from offering you Ultimate.
I'll see if our logs can offer any indication as to why you weren't prompted.
0 Ratings