cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Sport HD through FreeSatFromSky – Best Approach to Get Sky Viewing Card?

I am a BT Broadband customer, currently with Freesat HD.  I live in a broadband area where speed is poor (e.g. iPlayer on my TV often does not work).

I understand that you can get BT Sport HD through a Sky HD box if you obtain a Sky Viewing Card, and order BT Sport HD from BT.  I plan to buy a Sky HD box on eBay where they are about £35.

I understand that viewing cards cost £25 from Sky [1], but that you can also pick these up on eBay for around £10.  Is there any reason not to get the viewing card from eBay?

My concern is I understand that viewing cards expire, and you have to pay £25 to renew them but it is not clear how often.

Can anyone offer advice as to whether it is best to buy a new viewing card, or whether a second hand one will be OK, or where I can find this out?

Kind regards,

Robin

[1] http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/faq/

• I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £25. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Sport HD through FreeSatFromSky – Best Approach to Get Sky Viewing Card?

Freesat gives you access to the free channels but BT Sport is not a free channel.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

I believe Freesat from Sky is an option but you still need a viewing card for this and then you contact BT with the viewing card number to get free BT Sports if you have a BT Broadband product. If you don't have BT Broadband the cost is £12 + £15 activation charge http://www.bt.com/sport/3-ways-to-watch-bt-sport.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

If you are a BT Broadband customer, then you can register your SkyHD box to receive BT Sport channels for free if you are a FreeSatFromSky user. So in my mind it is - for now at least - a free channel (for me).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Yes, looks like it's possible to get BT Sports on a FSFS card http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-sky-sky-hd-sky-3d/1773676-bt-sport-channels.html

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Yes BT Sport is available through FSFS. My Parents just bought a card this week and I paired it with their (ancient) sky box by ringing sky.

If You buy the card Yourself it lasts 3 years minimum or if You get the Freesat system installed by sky (£175) the card lasts for 5 Years. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Just a word of warning to anyone considering buying a second hand sky box.

Whether it is ebay or a pawn brokers, you might find that you cannot pair a Sky viewing card to your second hand box because its serial number is associated with an account that is still in arrears with Sky. Smiley Sad

Feel free to contradict me if you have managed to get round this problem.  I would be interested to know how you accomplished it.