cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derek_R
Contributor
Message 1 of 77

BT Sport No Longer Available via Aerial...

I'm guessing this is old news but I never saw any announcements.

My parents have received a letter saying BT Sport is no longer available via the aerial and now has to come via Broadband. The letter says future BT Sport viewing needs to be either by an ethernet connection or via the powerline adaptors. My folks currently have their Vision box connected by the latter means - but BT Sport doesn't work. The message on the TV says a direct connection via Ethernet is needed (unlike the letter, the on-screen message doesn't mention power adaptors).

Reading a few posts here I get the impression that there's another factor - BT Infinity. If they aren't on Infinity will this mean they can't get BT Sport via the TV anyway, even if they were to run a gert long ethernet cable round the house?

Next question - were they on Infinity (I suspect they won't go this far and BT will lose a customer back to Sky) will they be able to use Powerline Adaptors? Their router / phone socket in is nowhere near the TV.

I assume all of this is going to apply to me, too, though I'm yet to receive a letter and, unlike my parents, can still see BT Sport on channel 58.

I also see there's now a charge for Net Protect Plus. It's starting to feel like a screw is turning...

Cheers

Derek

0 Ratings
76 REPLIES 76
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 77

Re: BT Sport No Longer Available via Aerial...

The email I had gives this link:

http://www.broadband.bt.com/espn-on-tv/?s_cid=con_FURL_kitupgrade&s_cid=con_email_zone_komodo_servic...

It states it can be done via Ethernet cable or the latest Powerline Adaptors. However as I understand it if you are in an infinity multicast enabled area then you won't be able to get it unless you upgrade to infinity.

It's a case really of whether or not BT upgrade your local exchange and then if so what to. Check out some of the other posts here and you will see a link to a BT checker to see exactly what is available to you.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 77

@Derek_R wrote:

Reading a few posts here I get the impression that there's another factor - BT Infinity. If they aren't on Infinity will this mean they can't get BT Sport via the TV anyway, even if they were to run a gert long ethernet cable round the house?

BT Sport channels can be provided using Infinity + Fibre Multicast, or normal BT Broadband + Copper Multicast.

It's true that recently if customers have initiated an order for the Copper Multicast service and an upgrade to fibre Infinity is a possibility then BT have said they won't set up the Copper Multicast service for them. They want customers to move to Infinity.

However, if BT are initiating things by sending out emails saying they are disabling the viewing cards on certain dates then I would assume they will set up normal Broadband customers for Copper Multicast. That's assuming the emails don't specifically say they need to upgrade to Infinity.

In May 2013 I got letters saying they were turning off Sky Sports and ESPN over the aerial and I needed to upgrade to Infinity to continue to receive them via fibre multicast. This was made very clear in the letters and they offered me a very good Infinity deal with absolutely no additional hardware/installation/activation/monthly charges for 12 months, and some extras thrown in.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 77

If your exchange is enabled for multicast on ADSL, and if the line speed is fast enough (more than about 5.5M), then BT is now offering BT Sport over ADSL.

This is only an option for people who cannot get Infinity.  If you just don't want to upgrade, then BT will go off in a huff, and refuse to let you have BT Sport.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 77

@cooperman wrote:
The email I had gives this link:
http://www.broadband.bt.com/espn-on-tv/?s_cid=con_FURL_kitupgrade&s_cid=con_email_zone_komodo_servic...

Interesting if you look at the Terms at the bottom of that page it still states that service is only available for those that can't get Infinity. Have they only sent that particular email/link to those who don't have the option of Infinity?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 77

@Ectophile wrote:

This is only an option for people who cannot get Infinity.  If you just don't want to upgrade, then BT will go off in a huff, and refuse to let you have BT Sport.

But this is a different situation to a customer trying to order it. BT are telling customers that their DTT aerial service will be de-activated on a certain date. The customer isn't driving the change or asking for anything. In this circumstance surely BT would have to make it very clear if certain customers needed to move to Infinity?

0 Ratings
Derek_R
Contributor
Message 7 of 77

I used the online Infinity checker and Infinity isn't available on my folks' line. It seems like their existing ADSL service is simply not good enough to enable them to watch BT Sport via the Powerline Adaptors. What I don't want to do is to encourage them to get a shift of their phone socket closer to the TV only to find out that the service is still not good enough even if plugged in directly with an Ethernet connection.

Interestingly Infinity isn't available on my own line either (despite the cabinet just down the road with the cooling fan whirring away inside and the "Superfast Is Here" stickers on the outside) yet I've heard nothing of the forthcoming changes and was able to watch the rugby as normal this afternoon.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 77

@Derek_R wrote:
It seems like their existing ADSL service is simply not good enough to enable them to watch BT Sport via the Powerline Adaptors. What I don't want to do is to encourage them to get a shift of their phone socket closer to the TV only to find out that the service is still not good enough even if plugged in directly with an Ethernet connection. 

The speed of the ADSL service at the HomeHub modem does not determine what will or won't work over the powerline adapters. That is down to the adpaters and the state of the home mains electrical wiring being used. 

If BT have told them that they are eligible for the Copper Multicast service then logically you would think you could assume that their ADSL connection from the exchange is synchronised at the HomeHub modem at a speed of at least 5.25Mbps (the minimum stated for BT Sport over Copper Multicast). Are you able to confirm this is the case via the HomeHub stats or an offical BT Consumer or BT Wholesale speed tester?

If that is the case then the problem lies either with the powerline adapaters or mains wiring, or BT just haven't correctly set up the BT TV box software or account for multicast channels. Can they successfully stream any HD on-demand content from either BT or via the BBC iPlayer? That would test the powerline connection to a certain extent.

0 Ratings
Derek_R
Contributor
Message 9 of 77

Confusion continues...

My folks contacted BT and were told they needed new Powerline Adaptors but also needed to be signed up for BT TV.

So, they signed up, despite being existing Broadband customers and despite having enjoyed BT Sport via the aerial for the last six months or more.

The new Powerline adaptors duly arrived and made no difference at all. The sport channels are now appearing on channels 500+ (can't remember the exact channel number - but they're there) however a warning message appears saying Broadband problems are preventing BT Sport channels being shown.

What I don't get is why change something that was working fine? Why insist on a new/different contract being signed?

My mum said today that they'll probably go back to Sky.

I'm going to draft an email to BT and see if they can get this sorted but I have little hope.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 77

@Derek_R wrote:

My folks contacted BT and were told they needed new Powerline Adaptors but also needed to be signed up for BT TV.

So, they signed up, despite being existing Broadband customers and despite having enjoyed BT Sport via the aerial for the last six months or more.

mmm... I'm not sure I would have been quite so quick to rush into signing up to any new contract.

In normal circumstances you do need to have your account registered for the BT TV service in order to receive the BT Sport channels on the BT TV box. New customers have to sign up to either TV Essential (£5) or TV Entertainment (£7.45).

However, some existing customers are on older TV packages. Some are even on an old package that was effectively TV PAYG and had fixed costs of £0 per month. I'm not sure if there were any limitations on who could add the free BT Sport via the TV aerial.

It would be strange to be able to receive the BT Sport channels via the TV aerial and viewing card without being on some sort of TV package and hence the BT TV service being registered for the account. Is it possible that was an old TV PAYG type deal?

I think you really need to identify exactly what the situation was before the new contract was started. It's possible the new contract was unnecessary, but I can't really give an answer to that. 

I would also go back and look over the original e-mail. Did it give any small print or links to terms and conditions saying that some customers would have to take out a new BT TV contract at additional cost? The change was being driven by BT and the customer wasn't asking for any change.

0 Ratings