cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derek_R
Contributor
Message 61 of 77

Re: BT Sport No Longer Available via Aerial...

Thanks Umpire.

This is the data from the ADSL check.

A while back BT did a check and said the speed was fine to the house and that the problem was inside. But I'm started to suspect otherwise.

Cheers

Derek

adsl data.jpg

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 62 of 77

Ah, so the BT Wholesale checker is estimating normal variable ADSL2+ should provide them with a downstream sync speed of between 10 and 19.5Mbps. Pretty decent speeds for ADSL. For ADSL2+ the downstream IP Profile is I think then normally set at ~88% of the sync speed.

If when BT Consumer say they have checked the line all that they have done is checked those ADSL2+ results then you can see why they might think the line is fast enough to use the Copper Multicast TV service. 

The big question is why the actual downstream IP Profile is set so low at 2Mbps and can anything be done to get it up to at least the minimum estimated speed of around 10Mbps? That would be plenty fast enough for multicast SD sports TV.

Note also that the two fixed rate services available for their line have a set downstream speed of 2Mbps, hence my earlier 'alarm bells'. Not sure if that is just coincidence and a red herring though?

I think your best bet at this point would be to raise a new thread on the broadband forum explaining the situation and posting the results from the BT wholesale service/speed checks. I'm sure people on there will be able to suggest further actions to try and find out exactly what is happening. Add the exchange name and cabinet number from the service check as well. Also add info on which version of BTHomeHub is being used.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 63 of 77

@Derek_R wrote:

A while back BT did a check and said the speed was fine to the house and that the problem was inside. But I'm started to suspect otherwise.

I would say that the speed to the house certainly isn't fine. It has been set by the BT system at a maximum speed of 2Mbps as you have now found out.

This could though still be a result of dodgy wiring inside the house causing noise on the line. However, it could equally be due to other things outside of the customer's control that OpenReach would need to look into. For the variable speed services the BT Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system will constantly monitor the line and adjust things like the IP Profile to try and maintain a stable connection. 

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 64 of 77

I wonder if it's the old stuck IP profile problem that seems to plague some ADSL connections.  The IP profile is supposed to be automatically set to something slightly below the line speed.  However, sometimes the equipment at the exchange glitches, and sets the IP profile to exactly 2Mbps, then refuses to adjust it again.  It needs somebody to reset the line and force it to re-train again.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 65 of 77

Hi Derek_R,

We can look at your parents line and check the broadband speed. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in their details and we'll get in touch. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Derek_R
Contributor
Message 66 of 77

Thanks Neal. I've sent the form.

Cheers

Derek

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 67 of 77

Derek_R,

A bit more info that may be useful.

If you want to check the current down/up synchronisation speeds for an ADSL broadband connection I think you should be able to get the info from the BTHomeHub. Go to the following address in a web browser.

http://bthomehub.home/

For a BTHomeHub 2/3/4 the sync speeds will I think be listed either on the initial page or in the Advanced Settings > Broadband > Connection. You might need the admin password that is on the card that came with the HomeHub (often stored on the back of the HomeHub).

As mentioned earlier if the down sync speed was say 10Mbps then you would expect the down IP profile to be 8.8Mbps (not 2Mbps). In that case BT may just be able to remotely reset the IP profile as suggested earlier.

If however the down sync speed is very low, just a bit above 2Mbps, then I think that implies some problem with noise/cabling/hardware and may require an engineer visit to identify the problem. 

Good luck getting it sorted.

0 Ratings
michael21
Contributor
Message 68 of 77

Bt sports 2 has now close on DTT freeview channel 59 in the whole of the uk it closed at 11:30am.There a megese on screen saying the channel is no longer advable.

Bt sports 1 to close at the end of the football season on freeview.

0 Ratings
Shelsleywalsh
Beginner
Message 69 of 77

Very cynical of BT - strangely none of the rugby is available on BT Sports 1 tomorrow, the first Sunday since the switch off, as their no.1 channel needs to broadcast Lithuanian football or whatever.... Very frustrating when they change something you signed up for- as soon as my lock in is up I'm off, especially as that is when BT Sport disappears from aerial subscribers completely. Even if infinity were available in my area I think I'd tell them to stuff it as that's obviously what they're trying to blackmail people in to.....
0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 70 of 77

Cynical? Just purely a business decision, which BT has always said would happen, but no one knew when.

Stew
0 Ratings