cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hallway
Beginner
Message 51 of 77

Re: BT Sport No Longer Available via Aerial...

I am exactly same, got the chromecast but i dont want to mess around with an app on a phone or laptop [ dont have either, just borrow daughters laptop when shes home] Shall have to look at getting cheapest sky package and add bt sport. You can get sky without a landline and broadband if you ask so hopefully bt can be added to this

0 Ratings
andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 77

Hi all - this seemed the most relevant thread so I thought I'd post my question here rather start a new one.

My parents had BT Vision and up until a month ago had BT Sport through the ariel (chan 57/58), that has now changed to being via broadband (chan 507/508). Now the BT Sport picture is freezing every few minutes, due to broadband speed interruptions (error VMC999).  I've noticed that they are using 200mbs powerline adapters which is lower than the 500mps recommended by BT.

By changing to 500mbs or even to something faster (Devo 1200mbs), does anyone have experience of whether this will fix the problem, or will we have to resort to using the ethernet cables (which would be a pain).

I know there's no definitive answer (as each house is different) but I'd be interested to know people's opinions or experiences.

PS I know that the adapters never give the advertised speed but the Devo appeals as it delivers about 200mbs in tests, compared to the BT flex 500 which only delivers about 80mbs.

Cheers for your helps! 🙂

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 53 of 77

It's hard to give a definitive answer, because the results of powerline adaptors vary considerably with the mains wiring in the house.  that said, 500M ones should give better speeds than 200M ones.

If you've got a laptop handy, you could try connecting it directly to the Home Hub by ethernet, and do a speed test using a site such as http://www.speedtest.net/

Then temporarily umplug the ethernet cable from the BT Vision box, plug it into the laptop and try the speed test again.

BT Sport requires around 5.5Mbps to work reliably.  Anything less than that is likely to give problems.

0 Ratings
Derek_R
Contributor
Message 54 of 77

Power adaptors never worked for my folks... but neither did plugging an ethernet cable in directly from the router. BT say the speed coming into the house should be enough, but with no other internal cabling connected, the router plugged straight into the master test socket (the cover off - the router is plugged into the hidden test socket) and an ethernet cable plugged direct into the vision box... still no BT sport. It's been two and a half months since their service was turned off via the aerial, numerous phone calls and emails, new powerline adaptors and new ethernet cables...and still they can't get Sport on the TV again. I know my dad tries to watch BT sport via the laptop but the experience is poor (as it is for me - but at least I can still get the service via the aerial). They're in their 80's and have just about had enough. I think if Sky are able to offer them BT Sport (my dad likes the rugby and MotoGP) they'll be off.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 55 of 77

@Derek_R wrote:

It's been two and a half months since their service was turned off via the aerial, numerous phone calls and emails, new powerline adaptors and new ethernet cables...and still they can't get Sport on the TV again.

They're in their 80's and have just about had enough.

Have you checked that the BT Vision+ box has received the multicast software upgrade?

Help & Settings > Settings > System Information

The BT Vision release should end in 'E' rather then 'C'.

The middleware version should include the word 'multicast'.

The BT Sport channels should appear in the guide at 507 - 509 rather than 58 - 59. 

If the box isn't running the multicast software then the overseas support staff can send new powerline adapters, new ethernet cables, new routers, perform resets, etc, until the cows come home but they still won't be able to view any multicast channels.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 56 of 77

Derek_R,

Looking back at your earlier posts in this thread your parents should be running the multicast software (though no harm in checking that is still the case).

You mentioned before that channel 475 was 'jumbled'. That implies that the connection to the multicast server has been correctly set up but that there is a problem with streaming the data. That could be a fault at the exchange or cabinet (though that might affect lots of customers), or a fault with that particular line and internal wiring set up, or a fault with the router or BTTV box.

You said they had tried connecting the router directly to the master test socket, connecting the BTTV box directly to the router using an ethernet cable, and not having any other devices connected. That's a good test as it rules out lots of things.

Have you also tried the 475 on a PC test?

Basically you need to download the free VLC Media Player from videolan.org and install it on a desktop or laptoip PC. The PC needs to be connected to the BTHomeHub router via ethernet cable or powerline adapters (wireless won't work). You can then start up VLC Media Player and try the following.

Media > Open Network Stream > rtp://234.81.130.4:5802 > Play

It can sometimes take a bit of time to connect but should play the BTTV Preview multicast channel on the PC.

Is that jumbled as well?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 57 of 77

If you want to check the connection speed then try the following.

Begin the following speed test.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

After the first test, choose to run the 'Further Diagnostics', enter the phone number and proceed with the second test.

Make a note of the IP Downstream/Upstream profiles displayed. These are the important down/up speed limits the BT system has currently placed on the line connection to maintain stability.

The bar chart show this maximum and the actual achieved speed during this test.

0 Ratings
Derek_R
Contributor
Message 58 of 77

Thanks for the ideas / advice Umpire. I spent some time at my folks' house this morning, and this is the situation:

>> Help & Settings > Settings > System Information

>> The BT Vision release should end in 'E' rather then 'C'.

>> The middleware version should include the word 'multicast'.

>> The BT Sport channels should appear in the guide at 507 - 509 rather than 58 - 59. 

Yes, to all of these. Looks like the Vision box / software is set-up correctly.

>> You said they had tried connecting the router directly to the master test socket, connecting the BTTV box directly to the >>  router using an ethernet cable, and not having any other devices connected. That's a good test as it rules out lots of things.

>>  Have you also tried the 475 on a PC test?

>>  Basically you need to download the free VLC Media Player from videolan.org and install it on a desktop or laptoip PC. >> The PC needs to be connected to the BTHomeHub router via ethernet cable or powerline adapters (wireless won't work). >>  You can then start up VLC Media Player and try the following.

>>  Media > Open Network Stream > rtp://234.81.130.4:5802 > Play

>>  It can sometimes take a bit of time to connect but should play the BTTV Preview multicast channel on the PC.

>>  Is that jumbled as well?

Tried this test by linking my laptop directly to router using an ethernet cable. The router was plugged directly into the Mastersocket (with the cover off, plugged straight into the test socket) and everything else was unplugged. I tried it with two different ADSL filters just in case.

Channel 475 was jumbled on my PC as well.

I then tried running the ethernet cable directly into the Vision box just to double check - and Sports channels (and 475) were jumbled. An error message popped up intermittently saying "Broadband Interruptions are affecting your viewing."

I>>  f you want to check the connection speed then try the following.

>>  Begin the following speed test.

>>  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

>>  After the first test, choose to run the 'Further Diagnostics', enter the phone number and proceed with the second test.

>>  Make a note of the IP Downstream/Upstream profiles displayed. These are the important down/up speed limits the BT >>  system has currently placed on the line connection to maintain stability.

>>  The bar chart show this maximum and the actual achieved speed during this test.

I tried the speedtest. First time round the results were:

Dowload Speed 2.05 mpbs

Upload 0.93

Ping Latency 41.13

Second time 1.96

Upload 0.93

Ping Latency 37.13

I then ran the further diagnostics and the results were:

Download 1.96 / Max achievable 2

IP Profile 2 mbps

Upstream 0.92 / Max achievable 0.83

Upstream Profile 0.83

(no idea how the upstream figure can be higher than the max achievale - but that's what it said).

The system concluded "Unable to identify any performance problem"

My folks have asked around their immediate neighbours to see if anyone else is having a similar issue...but everyone else is on Sky!

In summary, I still maintain that the BB speed coming into my parent's house is not fast enough to warrant having had BT Sport via the aerial ceased in favour of multicast delivery. However, BT say they tested the service to the house and it was fast enough and that the problem is inside the property. I'm not sure to what point they can remotey test the service. I suspect the cable from the master socket, out through the window frame, up to the roof, and across to the pole is probably 20 years old. Maybe the issue is there?

Cheers

Derek

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 59 of 77

Those speeds are nowhere near good enough to support multicast.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 60 of 77

Lots of useful info there Derek_R,

The BTTV box is set up correctly and the same jumbled 475 picture is shown on the VLC Media Player on a PC.

Conclusion. The problem is not caused by the BT Vision+ box or the ethernet cable / powerline adapters connecting it to the BTHomeHUb.

The speedtest is showing that the downstream IP Profile is 2Mbps. That rings alarm bells for two reasons.

Firstly the SD multicast channels require approx 3.5Mbps each. The streams are actually variable rate and looking at the stats provided by VLC Media Player I can see 475 normally runs at between 2 - 3Mbps. That channel is only 544x576 though. Full SD is 720x576 so other SD channels such as BT Sport 1 & 2 might run at a bit higher rate. Unfortunately the BT Vision+ box doesn't provide this level of detail, but as a rough rule of thumb you need 3.5Mbps per SD channel being recorded/watched. Obviously 2Mbps isn't going to be fast enough to even view a single SD channel without it having to drop some information packets (hence a jumbled picture).

Secondly, an IP Profile of exactly 2Mbps makes me wonder if they are on the normal ADSL2+ configuration or on a banded configuration, even possibly one of the other older ADSL services. The are others on the broadband forum with more expertise in this area but as a start you need to run the following service checker. You can do this from anywhere by entering their phone number, you don't need to be at their house.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

Please cut and paste the results back here (edit out the phone number) and people can advise further. It may be that the connection is just not good enough for multicast TV, or it may be a fixable problem with faulty wiring/device or interference, or it may be that BT have set the profile to 2Mbps in error and it can be reset. 

0 Ratings