cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deecarl
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BT Sport - Viewing is Way Too Complex an Affair

OK, so I'm new to BT Broadband and I accept it'll take a while to get used to everything, but my attempts to view video online on a desktop computer using BT Sport have resulted in nothing other than long periods staring at a spinning icon in the middle of a blank video screen, followed by an error message and a link to FAQs.

Reference to the FAQs leads me to wish I'd completed a computing degree, rather than engineering degree. I'm not thick, but I'm not a nerd who loves hours of computer fiddling either.

I can go to YouTube (for example) and, with little effort and an average spec computer, view videos to my hearts content. Please render BT Sport just as trouble-free and undemanding. I want to watch sports videos at a fair price without hassle, not read pages of instructions, spend hours putting them into practice and more £££s than I care to imagine on high spec harware and software.

Big disappointment. For goodness (and, not least, fairness) sake, please do something about this, preferably before the first MOTO GP race of 2014. That was the main reason I moved to BT Broadband. I shan't be staying if the experience doesn't become more realistically tailored to fit the profile of a computer user of no more than average ability and resources.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
StewM
Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Sport - Viewing is Way Too Complex an Affair

Despite what you have said, it is pretty straight forward.

Can you give some information of what devise you are using, what error codes (if any) you see.

deecarl
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Hi. I'm very grateful for your courageous offer. I'm not thick, but I'm at a pretty basic level with computers. If you feel you can help me at my primitive level, I'm happy to give it a go. I can play YouTube videos and any other videos I run from the internet with no problems at all.

I have a desktop computer, AMD Semprom 3000+ 1.80GHz, 512 RAM, Windows XP Home Edition 2002 service pack 3. There's a video card installed, but I'm not sure what it is or how to find out what it is. I use Firefox.

Starting from scratch. First error codes (based upon my previous attempt, there will be more error codes as we progress):

6030 unable to playback video
                     err: VC019
Find out how to fix this by checking our FAQ

[>Continue]

Error codes on the online player that don't begin with 'VC' (for example, 3222, 6003, 6008, 6025, 6030)

The video player on the BT Sport website requires a Microsoft Silverlight plug-in because we use Microsoft PlayReady DRM to protect video content from piracy.

If you receive an error code on the online player that doesn't begin with the letters 'VC' (for example, 6003, 6025, 6030), this means Silverlight is not working with your computer. This may be for a number of reasons, such as the specification of your machine or the version of the browser that you're using. Some Silverlight errors may be resolved by resetting the date and time settings of your computer. Click here for advice on how to set your computer's time.

It's possible to download the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

This site also offers guidance on system requirements and support for getting Silverlight working on your computer.

If the player takes a long time to load, then it may help to clear the PlayReady cache by deleting the mspr.hds file. Then restart your browser and reload BT Sport. Click here for details on how to find the mspr.hds file.

If you still have the same problem, try these steps:

1. Right click on the BT Sport online video player and select Silverlight
  2. From the 'Microsoft Silverlight Configuration' screen, select the Playback tab and tick 'Enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback'
  3. Click OK, refresh the BT Sport online player and retry

You can also visit our forum to get more help.

"VC019"

Please try using a different browser. Otherwise, you can try clearing your browser's cache. The steps to do it vary by browser, but below are instructions for how to do it in Internet Explorer. If you have a different browser, click here to see instructions on how to delete your cache.

To clear your cache in Internet Explorer:

1. Click on the Settings or Tools button on your browser
  2. Select Internet Options
  3. On the general tab, click the Delete button under "browsing history"
  4. Check temporary internet files is selected and press Delete
  5. Now refresh and retry the BT Sport online player

If you still have the same problem, try these steps:

1. Right click on the BT Sport online video player and select Silverlight
  2. From the 'Microsoft Silverlight Configuration' screen, select the Playback tab and tick 'Enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback'
  3. Click OK, refresh the BT Sport online player and retry

0 Ratings
deecarl
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

I edited the above to include a full description of which parts of the error message 'solutions' I'd tried, with the consequences. When I selected 'Post' I received the following message and discovered I'd lost everything I'd spent ages typing:

Sorry, you've run out of time to edit this message
Return to my original page

...and now it won't let me edit the previous message at all.

Basically, I did everything as instructed, except couldn't find the mspr.hds file (because the paths don't match what's on my PC) and I'm certainly not trying another browser (how long would that take to get up to speed with and how would it disturb my other computing tasks, all geared up for Firefox?).

Still getting the same error messages.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 21

Unfortunately you only get an hour to edit a post.

First check that Sliverlight is enabled. Click the drop-down at extreme top left in Firefox > Add-ons > Plugins > make sure it says Always Activate. If Silverlight's activated, there's a sticky at the top of the BT Sport via App or Online board which gives fairly comprehensive advice about getting it working. When I got a new laptop after Xmas I worked my way through this without success then hit upon yet another solution, since when I've had no further problems with it.

Best of luck!

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 21

By the way, there's no harm in having another browser installed (Windows computers usually come with Internet Explorer anyway). You can switch between them without disturbing the settings in your default choice provided you don't make any deliberate changes.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
deecarl
Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Thanks.

Followed the BT Sport via App or Online board link. Found sticky article: Top tips for Silverlight Issues with watching BT Sport via BTSport.com

Completed all tasks as far as:

4. Uninstall Microsoft Silverlight from your PC or Mac using the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608523 

Clicked the link. Clicked on the 'Fix it' button to automatically delete Silverlight. Saved the file silverlight.diagcab to my PC. Then ran the file from my PC and got a message:

Windows

Windows cannot open this file;

File:   silverlight.diagcab

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it, blah blah'

O Use the web service to find the appropriate program

Accepted the above. First search result was:

Open .DiagCab Files | DiagCab.com
DiagCab.com
Instantly Enable Your PC to Fix & Open .DiagCab Files. Free Download
What is Diagcab File · Purchase Online · Customer Support

Selected it. Got the following:

How to Open .DIAGCAB Files
Problems and Symptoms

Cannot open .DIAGCAB files on Windows PC. When trying to open a .DIAGCAB file, a dialog with message "Windows cannot open this file" pops up. Error message "Windows does not recognize this file type".
Recommended Solution

If you computer has some or all of the problems above, we highly recommend using PC TuneUp Maestro to enable your PC to open .DIAGCAB files.
Detailed Instructions
Step 1: Download DIAGCAB file error repair tool and install it
Step 2: Click "Start" button
Step 3: Click "Fix Items" and that's it

Followed the instructions. It tells me its found issues with my PC and now wants money to fix them.

Hmm, so it hasn't deleted Silverlight. I'm stuck at: 4. Uninstall Microsoft Silverlight from your PC or Mac using the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608523 

Or am I doing something wrong?

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 21

To be brutally honest I think it's time for a new computer. A bit of research reveals that the diagcab file is not compatible with Windows XP, and I guess this heralds a series of problems for XP users once Microsoft finally withdraws support on 8 April. Even if it was sensible to upgrade an old machine, your computer doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for Windows 8.1.

If you can get the performance I'm enjoying with the W8 laptop I got just after Xmas (despite much prior scepticism) you won't regret it, even if you still have to fiddle with Silverlight as I did.

--
StewM
Guru
Message 9 of 21

Thanks PP.
It was my understanding that you needed a higher spec than XP. But I can't find any reference to this now.
0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 21

My old laptop (which died just before Christmas) ran Xp(Service Pack 3) with a 1.66 CPU and 2gig RAM,and ran the BT Sport app without any problem. Try uninstalling Silverlight 5.1 and download and install Silverlight 5.0.

I don't think 512mb of RAM is enough, but you could try to increase it to 1GB.

As your PC will become very vunerable in April,when Microsoft withdraws support for XP, can I suggest you install Linux Mint 13? I run Linux on my desktop and can run the BT Sports app without any difficulty,using Pipelight.