Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Sport - Viewing is Way Too Complex an Affair

[quote] I'm not thick, but I'm at a pretty basic level with computers.[/quote]

Not too sure that a Linux operating system is what the poster needs.

Microsft has it's bad points but for entry/basic level users it's easy to pick up.

Minimum requirements for XP are:

X86 or x64 (64-bit mode support for IE only) 1.6-gigahertz (GHz) or higher processor with 512-MB of RAM

Thats the minimum, RAM should be more than that.

toekneem

(EASBF)

deecarl
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

OK, more up to date computer required.

Many thanks to all for the inputs. I really do appreciate the offers to help me out.

Maybe I should start another thread: 'BT Sport - Viewing is Way Too Complex Expensive an Affair'.

As I said in my first post, I can go to YouTube and watch videos to my heart's content (on this computer). BT Sport viewing online really does need to match that if its ever going to succeed. Either that, or give broadband customers access to the BT Sport (or a dedicated MOTO GP) Freeview channel. All I want to do is watch a few motorbike races a year. Nothing more.

I'll buy the D*k* Video season summary instead - cheaper than a new computer.

....unless BT have gobbled up that option as well.

Thanks. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
deecarl
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Just had a response from BT Tech Support.

QUOTE: 'Bt Sport website has compatibility issues with some Windows XP and Windows 7 operating system'

Yikes! I didn't see that clearly stated in the BT Broadband sales literature (including the small print).

0 Ratings
deecarl
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Based upon the above, I asked BT Tech Support if the BT sales literature shouldn't include a warning of these technical problems.

QUOTE: 'This issue is know issue to us and we came to know about this fault after the launch of Bt sport Digital service. As this issue is known and we are working on fix for this. Hence, there is no fix currently we advise you to Upgrade your OS if its Windows XP and chane if its Windows 7'.

I assume 'chane' is supposed to mean 'change', which implies that Windows 7 should be avoided. How does any decent organisation miss a problem like that before launching a (so-called) service?

Grief. Is there a Regulator I can take this to? I entered into an eighteen month broadband contract with BT on the basis of included BT Sport. At no time was I made aware of this problem, which effectively excludes BT Sport unless I upgrade to Windows 8, which means a new computer of the latest spec in my case.

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 21

@deecarl wrote:

Based upon the above, I asked BT Tech Support if the BT sales literature shouldn't include a warning of these technical problems.

QUOTE: 'This issue is know issue to us and we came to know about this fault after the launch of Bt sport Digital service. As this issue is known and we are working on fix for this. Hence, there is no fix currently we advise you to Upgrade your OS if its Windows XP and chane if its Windows 7'.

I assume 'chane' is supposed to mean 'change', which implies that Windows 7 is no good at all. How do you miss something like that before launching a (so-called) service?

Grief. Is there a Regulator I can take this to? I entered into an eighteen month broadband contract with BT on the basis of included BT Sport. At no time was I made aware of this problem, which effectively excludes BT Sport unless I upgrade to Windows 8, which means a new computer of the latest spec in my case.

Well I'll be blowed. And theirs me been watching it on my Windows 7 operating system for the last few months. And I'm sure that therte are many thousands of users of Windows 7 that are watching with no trouble.

I believe that in a previous post, that a poster has also said that he can watch on windows XP.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
deecarl
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Well I'll be blowed, too, why are BT Technical Support telling me that my problems are due to a known issue? And why am I having such issues if, as you suggest, they don't exist? Am I lying? Please state if I am or not.

My machine meets the minimum spec for Silverlight (look it up). Yet my patient working through of the massive list of operations required to set up Silverlight on BT Sport led to a dead end at Step 4 (look that up, too - see my previous posts - have you bothered?).

Replace the sarchasm with a check of the facts I've reported and when you've done that, explain, with logic, the statements from BT Tech Support, which I've quoted word-for-word.

I'm looking for a solution and I'm warning others of my problems, because they'll otherwise be misled by the sales literature, as I was, into forking out hard-earned cash, when all they receive from BT Sport online is a blank video window and a spinning icon.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 21

Looking at this thread I observe:

1) The BT Sport player is consistently failing to play on a specfic computer

2) the computer satisfies MicroSoft stated minimum specification for running Silverlight.

3) the suggested tips for fixing process encounters a problem in executing one of the sets and therefore was not completed

4) some quoted statements  from Technical Support appear to be inconsistent with what is suggested by BT adverts of the service/product.

Were it my computer before casting it aside I would:

a) undertake a health check on the PC -- ie I would check that all software was upto date and that all the latest drivers etc for the video card and other components were installed ---I would use (free)  programmes such as   Belarc Adviser , Speccy , FileHippo Update Checker.  Be very cautious when looking/loading driver updates to make sure they come from a reputable source.

b) Remember a minimum specification  (requirement) for something to run often does not take into account all the other installed programmes and processes that are running in the background. So removing or disabling other processes should be considered. Your RAM is probably at the low end for a PC running a range of modern day processes - developers have over the years focused less and less on efficiency so background and startup processes may be reducing what is left for running the Silverlight video.

c) My albeit historic experience of running silverlight processes on Windows XP is that those virus guarding processes that protect our computers can sometimes prevent a full removal and full install of silverlight. So I would turn them off -- uninstall the program (silverlight) directly from the Control Panel - Add or remove program function. When done .. reboot as sometime full removal does not occur until the system is next rebooted.   Then reboot again ....Then with the virus protection turned off install silverlight .... then turn back on your virus protection. 

As your ultimate aim is I believe to watch the MotoGP -- remember there are alternative ways to watch BT sport other than PC. They may well be less stressful albeit more expensive way of achieving your ultimate aim. Not sure from the thread as to what speed broadband service you have.

As for the technical support quotes - well I have no idea whether it is an accurate statement -- but given the way it has been worded I would be very sceptical.

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 21

@deecarl wrote:

Well I'll be blowed, too, why are BT Technical Support telling me that my problems are due to a known issue? And why am I having such issues if, as you suggest, they don't exist? Am I lying? Please state if I am or not.

My machine meets the minimum spec for Silverlight (look it up). Yet my patient working through of the massive list of operations required to set up Silverlight on BT Sport led to a dead end at Step 4 (look that up, too - see my previous posts - have you bothered?).

Replace the sarchasm with a check of the facts I've reported and when you've done that, explain, with logic, the statements from BT Tech Support, which I've quoted word-for-word.

I'm looking for a solution and I'm warning others of my problems, because they'll otherwise be misled by the sales literature, as I was, into forking out hard-earned cash, when all they receive from BT Sport online is a blank video window and a spinning icon.

And you have just said it, you have  "The minimum spec" and no matter what you say BT tech support say, if there were known major problems on windows 7, 8 and XP then there would be a massive number of complaints about it.

The fact that there is not a massive amount of complaints again tends to point to the spec of your PC.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 21

The frustration of the BT player is that there is no consistency in it's operability.

As I said in an earlier posting my old laptop, running XP ran the Bt Player without a problem. My old laptop died and I now have a new replacement laptop. It has a 2 core 2.4 ghz Intel processor, 8gb of RAM and Intel HD graphics.I dual boot the machine with Windows 7 64 bit, and Linux Mint 16 64 bit. I cannot run BT  Player on Windows 7, but on Linux it runs quite happily. Go through the forums and you will find plenty people complaining about not being able to use BT Player .

To further confuse the situation I can run the BT Sport app on my Kindle Fire, a product Bt says is not supported.

Little wonder Bt customers are frustrated!

deecarl
Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Thank you johngardner42

To assume that all is well with BT Sport based upon the number of supporters versus the number of detractors on a single forum is ridiculous.

Any detractors who report problems, despite using Silverlight approved equipment and operating systems, are a clear indication that problems do exist (unless every one of those detractors are lying). BT need to sort this out, or alter their sales literature to honestly admit that problems may be encounterd. Imagine how small that small print would be.

0 Ratings