cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClivePD
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Sport and Netgear N900 / WNDR4500 router (instead of BT HomeHub3 HH3) not working

Until BT Sport came along yesterday (1st Aug) then my BT Infinity 2 Broadbroad & Yourview set-up worked fine.  For 3 months now I've replaced the BT HomeHub3 (HH3) with a Netgear N900 / WNDR4500 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router in my LAN configuration with no problems encountered.

However, with the N900 Router set-up I now get 'IPC6023' error code and blank screen on my BT YouView box when selecting one of the internet channels (BT Sport1, BT Sport2, ESPN and their HD alternatives).

Digging into the Netgear N900 user manual then I've now cleared the "Disable IGMP Proxying" flag under WAN Setup, as apparently "IGMP Proxing allows a computer on the LAN to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the internet." I thought this configuration setting would enable it all to work but no joy - still the same problem encountered.

To fault find then I've isololated the N900 Router by temporarily replacing it with the HH3.  All the BT Sport/ESPN internet channels and wired/wireless internet connectively now work fine with the HH3 connected, so no problems with the rest of my home network/configuration.

Please can you offer any advice on router settings which are needed for my Netgear N900 router to enable BT Sport multicast transmissions to work with a BT Youview box.  Thanks.

Netgear N900 / WNDR4500 Router

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Sport and Netgear N900 / WNDR4500 router (instead of BT HomeHub3 HH3) not working

Either a) Plug the Netgear into the Home Hub and put it in the DMZ of the Home Hub. Plug the Vision box into the Home Hub for BT Sport and everything else into the Netgear.

or b) Sell the Netgear.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
ClivePD
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Sport and Netgear N900 / WNDR4500 router (instead of BT HomeHub3 HH3) not working

Thanks legitimise_sailing for the solution options.

I'm hope that BT have not engineered their BT Sport solution so that only BT-supplied HomeHub components can be used instead of alternative 3rd party networking equipment.

I really don't want to bin my quality Netgear router 

Does anyone else have any experience of successfully using the Netgear N900 / WNDR4500 router in conjunction with BT Sport and a BT youview box ?

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Im using a WNDR4500 to access BT Sport on line. Only 'issues' Im having are down to BT's uses and non testing of silverlight.

However, Im not using a BT Vission box. It sounds like BT have put some nasty code in there to only work with the homehub!

0 Ratings
Alderpoint
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I raised a customer support query on this with Netgear.

There response is as follows:

"Netgear WNDR4500/N900 does not support IP multicast."

That's not a lot of use....

0 Ratings
ClivePD
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Many thanks 'curiousfellow' & 'alderpoint' for your helpful replies. Looks likes my good Netgear router will remain unused unless Netgear provide a software upgrade to support IP multicast The BTHomeHub3 could be doing something odd to make it work. I may need to wait until the HomeHub5 is released at the end of the year and see if I can upgrade.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 9

It really is just a multicast issue as I have seen replies from others that they have Vision working with Billion and Draytek routers.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Kemaleon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I know this topic is a bit old but just wanted to add my 2 pence.

Your Netgear router supoorts internal Multicast IP routing, but not the kind used accross a wider network (the internet) so don't confuse the two. As far as I'm aware no Netgear routers support this or will work with BT multicast channels.

If you don't want to use the HH3 (I don't blame you!) then your options are thus:

Get a router that supports BT multicast channels. I bought a TP-Link WDR4900 and it worked fine right out of the box. It didnt quite have the wireless range of the Netgear WNDR3700 it was replacing but that might have been down to positioning. Have a google around and you should find a list of BT multicast compatible routers.

Or

Get the BT Home Hub 5. BT didn't want to give me one when I first got their TV service (had internet with them for ages) but I eventually got a letter saying I could have one if I renewed my contract. Its just a circular so ring them up and tell them you got the same letter. They may charge you £6.95 for delivery but its better than the £100 they try to get out of you without. They actually wavered the delivery charge for me so I got it for nothing! It works fine too so now I have options.

The only real issue with BT Home Hubs is the portforwarding glitch that they still haven't fixed since the HH2. But if you don't do any portforwarding then don't worry.
0 Ratings
ClivePD
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Many thanks Kemaleon for your advice and help.  This explains why I couldn't succeed beforehand.

Recently I too have managed to secure a BT HH5 (Home Hub 5) and my set up is now working fine, albeit I had to pay the delivery charge to BT for the new box.  'tis a pity my Netgear N900 router is now redundant but the HH5 does seem to over equivalient feature/functions for my needs.

Fortunately I don't have a requirement at this stage for port forwarding.

0 Ratings