cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cat_dog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Sport free with broadband: Mis-sold?

I know there have been some other threads on the £5 p/month charge for the sports channels, but I wonder if anyone here thinks that this means the original deal was mis-sold to them?

I only switched to BT Broadband, in 2013, so that I could watch MotoGP. At the time, there were a lot of people complaining because BT were advertising it as free coverage of MotoGP, and of course, unless you were a BT customer already it wasn't free. But that was how they were selling it. I think they even had Cal Crutchlow & Bradley Smith doing TV ads saying it was free (anyone find them on Youtube?).

Also, I renewed my broadband in December last year, and here's the wording in the confirmation email:

"Thanks for renewing your BT Broadband contract to keep getting BT Sport for free. Your new 12 month contract will start on 02-Dec-2014."

See, the wording in the email makes a point of saying that I have renewed to keep getting the sports channels. Not just that I had renewed, and that the channels were thrown in as a bonus. It says "TO KEEP GETTING BT SPORT FOR FREE", and it's a 12 month contract. Now, 7 months into the contract they want to start charging me.

And just to rub it in, when I spoke to a guy in the cutomer options team earlier about all this, I asked him what would happen if I cancelled my broadband, and he said I'd get charged because it was mid-term! £103 or something like that!!

So, sure, the small print no-doubt says that they're allowed to do all this. But doesn't it seem like the original broadband sign-up was mis-sold? How many people switched to BT to get the sports channels I wonder? Is it worth complaining to Ofcom? I feel really unhappy about just rolling over and taking this from BT.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Sport free with broadband: Mis-sold?

ofcom do not deal with individual complaints
0 Ratings
cat_dog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I know they don't, but they do investigate products that have been mis-sold to consumers. Hence my question: does anyone else feel like they were sold BT broadband on the understanding that the sports channels would be free?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

If as you say, the small print said that they may charge for BTSport, and I believe that BT have always said in the small print it was libel to change at the end/start of each season,  the chances are that while it may seem to be poor business practice, they have actually done nothing wrong.

Personally, not being a person who uses BT Sport, I have always resented BT paying millions of pounds for something and giving it away "free". Ultimately nothing is free and I along with all the other non sport viewing customers were having to pay for it. It seems fairer to me that those who want to watch it have to pay extra for it.

An alternative, but I suspect it would be a non starter because it would cost money instead of raising money, could have been those who don't want BTSport got a discount on their bill.

0 Ratings
dog_cat
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I couldn't agree more - also switched to BT broadband just to get MotoGP.  Not even slightly interested in football and not even bothered to look at what else is on offer - just log in once a fortnight for the MotoGP.  Signed up to BT Broadband (apparently for 18 months for the broadband but only for 12 months in advance on a cheap pre-paid deal for the line rental so I now have to pay full price for the line rental until the broadband runs out or pay through the nose to exit as broadband has some months left to run.  Very sneaky of them to make the contracts different lengths - I guess they hoped I'd sign up for another pre-paid 12 month line rental as I had time left on the broadband, and then sign up for another roadband contract as I had line rental left.  Sorry - that just made me want to leave altogether at the first opportunity.

DISGUSTED that they can alter the contract to supply us with MotoGP free but if I wanted to end the broadband early and just watch the MotoGP a day late on ITV4 the exit fee quoted was astronomical.  How come it's OK for them to mess with a contract midway?  I am downgrading and will just watch the races on ITV4, but they might as well just take BT Sport away completely as the lite version is not of any interest to me, not having the only thing I wanted.  When the contract for the broadband ends I'm off elsewhere.  I've had increased line rentals and now charges imposed for the very thing I changed to BT for, all to pay for OTHER people to watch football that BT paid millions for.  It really would serve them right if everyone left.

My dad has no internet access at all (he is 88) but loves football.  He will lose out as his Sky package will not have the matches moving to BT, but he will be paying the extra line rental along with the rest of us for his landline. 

Not everyone wants to watch football.  All of us have to pay for those who do.  Not fair BT.  I agree it was mis-sold.

0 Ratings
cat_dog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

@gg30340 wrote:

If as you say, the small print said that they may charge for BTSport, and I believe that BT have always said in the small print it was libel to change at the end/start of each season,  the chances are that while it may seem to be poor business practice, they have actually done nothing wrong.

Personally, not being a person who uses BT Sport, I have always resented BT paying millions of pounds for something and giving it away "free". Ultimately nothing is free and I along with all the other non sport viewing customers were having to pay for it. It seems fairer to me that those who want to watch it have to pay extra for it.

An alternative, but I suspect it would be a non starter because it would cost money instead of raising money, could have been those who don't want BTSport got a discount on their bill.

The point is that BT advertised it's new sports channels as free of charge if you took their broadband. Now I'm half way through my broadband contract they want to start charging me, and if I cancel my broadband I'll get a penalty charge too. The only reason I moved to their broadband was to get the sports for free, and I think many other people are in the same position.

And the fact that it is for sports is irrelevant: It could be movies, or a free bottle of wine a month, or anything at all. It's the principle:

"Sign up to our service, and you can have this for free! No wait, that's changed now, but you're stuck with the service. Tough."

Anyway, maybe you should leave them if you're that unhappy about it?

0 Ratings
cat_dog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

@dog_cat wrote:

It really would serve them right if everyone left.

Ha! That would be perfect. Unfortunately, football is so stupidly popular that it would never happen.

Anyway, I've made a complaint by email. No response yet, but I'm still going to try and push it. Not happy.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@cat_dog wrote:

The point is that BT advertised it's new sports channels as free of charge if you took their broadband. Now I'm half way through my broadband contract they want to start charging me, and if I cancel my broadband I'll get a penalty charge too. The only reason I moved to their broadband was to get the sports for free, and I think many other people are in the same position.

And the fact that it is for sports is irrelevant: It could be movies, or a free bottle of wine a month, or anything at all. It's the principle:

"Sign up to our service, and you can have this for free! No wait, that's changed now, but you're stuck with the service. Tough."

Anyway, maybe you should leave them if you're that unhappy about it?

As it happens I actually agree that they should not change a contract mid-way or at anytime during the course of a contract. My understanding of a contract is so that you know how much you are paying for the duration of the contract and what services are included in it.

What I was saying was that you will probably find that because of the small print that you mentioned, there will probably be nothing you can do about it.

As regards being unhappy and leaving BT, I am not unhappy now they are charging for it.Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 9 of 12

I seem to remember a satellite platform doing this exact sort of thing with 'Multi-Channels' they gave everything for free but the encrypted it so you had to either by a decoder or a new box. Then you needed a viewing card at a cost of £6 per month.
0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Funny you mention that, 

When i've been phoneing BT to get my suposedly free BT sports fixed I suguested that bt would start charging extra for it for the new season when the champions league starts, always for them to bat it down and say it won't happen. Well it did.

Apart from that I always feel mis-sold, free bt sports my butt, it was always a part of your broadband package really not exactly free.

0 Ratings