cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sanderr2
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Sport knocks out Wifi Network

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place but here goes. 

I have a BT Vision box and eight Apple Airport Extreme's acting as Wireless Access Points around the house. The Airport Extremes are wired to the Home Hub via an unmanaged Ethernet switch. I have been having intermittent problems where the wireless network in the house becomes unavailable to both existing devices and new devices which are trying to connect.

It has slowly dawned on me that the problem occurs whenever I watch BT sport. I have a little bit of network knowledge (and as we all know, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing) and I couldn't see how a wired connection between My BT Vision box and BT Home Hub 5 could be adversely affecting the Wifi network being provided by my Apple Airport extremes. But in frustration I finally did a bit of googling and it appears I am not alone in experiencing this problem which has something to do with the stream of TV data being "multicast" to all my devices (including the wired connections to my Airport Extremes), effectively flooding the network and preventing wireless connectivity from my devices to the Airport extremes. This may or may not be related to IGMP or other multicast settings.  

Is there a solution to this problem with my setup (ie Home Hub 5, BT Vision box, Apple WAPs)? Maybe a setting in the Home Hub? 

Thanks in anticipation, 

Rob

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Sport knocks out Wifi Network

Multicast streams should only appear on the Ethernet ports and would not appear on the home hub wifi, however if you have a wifi access point connected to the Ethernet port, then it will cause problems.

One option would be to connect an Ethernet port to a managed Ethernet switch which has the capability of preventing multicast streams appering on certain ports. If your Airport Extreme is connected to that port, then it should not receive them.

There is nothing on the home hub that can help with this.

sanderr2
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Brilliant! Thanks Keith - I will buy myself a managed Ethernet switch and give it a go. Rob
0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

I have come across this issue a few times with the HH5 and believe it is a fault in the hub. I have recently purchased an Openreach modem and am using that to feed the HH5 via the WAN port, so far this seems to have cured the problem but its early days in the test yet. This was happening via the HH5 wifi and the wifi from an AirPort Extreme connected to the HH5 via Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@sanderr2 wrote:
Brilliant! Thanks Keith - I will buy myself a managed Ethernet switch and give it a go. Rob

I have a Netgear one, but the management software only runs on Windows. It has QOS and bandwidth controls as well, and the ability to create VLANs.

0 Ratings