cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrfill
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Sport on Linux and MotoGP

For 18 months I have been happily watching motoGP on a linux machine using the appalling Silverlight. This weekend I was unable to watch on my usual machine as the switch to the equally appalling Flash has crippled it. I guess this is because it needs version 18 of Flash and Adobe can't be bothered to produce a new linux version (it is currently 11.2).

Has anyone got a work around for this?.

Yes, I do have a windows machine I can use, but it lags and buffers on my Infinity2 75Mb line (only BT Sport that is)

I also use the app on my tablet to see the live timing and alternative camera shots. However, the app now provides no alternative cameras and no live timing or tracking. Just the main feed and nothing else. Is this a deliberate move to impress people who are now paying for a very degraded service? Most of the advertised 'features' of the app have now disappeared - the extras have been slipping away gradually as live timing was withdrawn from qualifying and now it has gone from all races. This makes it a bit harder to follow what's going on with the riders not favoured by the commentary team.

I only use BT to watch motoGP as I have no interest in football, baseball or rugby so have no idea if these sports are also affected by this general degradation following the decision to charge monthly. Pay more, get less - it's an odd business philosophy.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Sport on Linux and MotoGP

Download Firefox for Windows 7 and install it using Wine. Then using your normal Linux browser go to Adobe downloads for Flash Player. You should be offered a choice of packages for Linux, but chose the option of another operating system and select Windows 7. When downloaded install also through Wine. Now when you open your newly installed Firefox for Windows 7(through Wine) you should be able to login to BT Sport and Flash Player should activate automatically. Perversely the quality is great on the Yospace web site but a little blurred on BT Sport, but it is watchable. Good luck

Incidentally using Google Chrome with Linux Mint for BT Sport it works but not very reliable.

0 Ratings
derryviewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 with Google Chrome and BT Sport is working fine online.

Firefox keeps prompting to install flash and I have it already but Firefox hates appears to hate Flash now after the latest security risks.

The pepper Flash bundled with Chrome  is far better imho.

derryviewer

0 Ratings
mrfill
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I have got things running - sort of - using chrome and pepper but with a lot of stutter and a picture that degrades and never recovers until a refresh. But that seems common to windows and mac so I have achieved parity and suffer a rubbish service just like them!

0 Ratings
mrfill
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Update after Silverstone.

Picture deg and stutter (repeating last few seconds) still evident. Had to refresh every 10 mins approx after the picture degraded to a blur or the flash player froze. No live timing for moto 2. GP live timing was around 3 minutes behind real time and at least 2 race sectors behind the TV picture.

Using chrome and linux produced better results than windows.

The real problem is BTs habit of putting software live that isn't ready. It has not been tested fully (the desktop flash player is still in beta testing) but gets put live as the team get a pat on the back for being on time. This was very evident in the late 90s when I worked there as a tester and clearly, nothing has changed since.

0 Ratings