Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayW
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

BT Sport on YOUVIEW using Powerline adaptors

Go to solution

I have Infinity 2 and a BT YouView Box. My Network is based on Pwerlines (and some WiFi ) linked to the BT Hub 4. I have now been advised that BT Sport cannot be accessed by Powerline adaptors and the YouView box MUST be connected to the hub by Ethernet cable direct.

I have no difficulty streaming HD items via Powerline, so is there some technical problem that will prevent Powerline adaptors working with BT Sport (SD or HD)?

I have certainly never been able to see any of the 'test Loops' that others have referred to.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
MartinH
Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Sport on YOUVIEW using Powerline adaptors

Go to solution

@JayW wrote:

I have Infinity 2 and a BT YouView Box. My Network is based on Pwerlines (and some WiFi ) linked to the BT Hub 4. I have now been advised that BT Sport cannot be accessed by Powerline adaptors and the YouView box MUST be connected to the hub by Ethernet cable direct.

I have no difficulty streaming HD items via Powerline, so is there some technical problem that will prevent Powerline adaptors working with BT Sport (SD or HD)?

I have certainly never been able to see any of the 'test Loops' that others have referred to.

In short, BT say this becuase they don't want to deal with technical calls arising out of the use of 3rd party hardware. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

Put another way, PLAs do work but if there are problems BT won't want to know.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

I can certainly access the BT Sport channels & see the promos very well via my Netgear PLAs , linked to my Billion router. No sign of a HomeHub in my house.Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Just to add to this. 

I have a youview box and via the PowerLine Adaptors couldn't even see the numbers of the sport channels in the guide.

I called BT and the poor lady I spoke to was confused by different opinions with those she spoke to, but they basically said this won't work with the Powerline Adaptors. I moved the box upstairs and connected directly to the BT Router and registered the channels. Then moved the box back downstairs, connected via the Powerline adaptors and all is fine. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
ian_k
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

I just spoke to BT and was told I would "always have problems with BT Sport and ESPN" if I was using powerline adapters.

Which begs the question, why on earth did the BT engineer who came to set up the box originally install it using powerline adapters!!!!

He knew the only reason I was getting the YouView box was for BT Sport, we discussed the sport channels at length and yet he still used these adapters which BT themselves are telling people aren't suitable.

Honestly BT - NOT impressed at all.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

I just spoke to BT and was told I would "always have problems with BT Sport and ESPN if I was using powerline adapters.

That is not true. BT don't support the use of Poweline adapters because there are so many variables - distance, you electricity supply, fuse baxes ect, etc.

Customer are using adapters and have no problems. If you do have problems then BT won't help, because they don't support them.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Because for standard video on demand powerlines will almost certainly work fine, but for streaming multicast HD there are more likely to be problems. Since no guarantees can be made they cannot support the technology for that purpose.

0 Ratings
ian_k
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies...

But if they don't support it why did their engineer use them when installing my YouView box when he knew it was the sport channels I wanted!?

Are they not telling their engineers what they do / don't support?

0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution
BT Sport, the extra channels and ESPN all work fine in my house on my YouView box with powerlines. They can work they're just not officially supported
---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings