cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bzcbzc
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

BT Sport online from a PC running Windows XP can it be done?

Is anyone managing to watch BT Sport on-line from a PC which is running under the Windows XP operating system? 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Sport online from a PC running Windows XP can it be done?

I did try watching using   an older lower spec XP desktop and was able to watch online OK this morning using a wireless connection  . However I had to change to a lower screen resolution on my monitor to get it to play smoothly.

So yes it plays but I get far better quality on a higher spec Windows 7 PC.

0 Ratings
bzcbzc
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for your early reply.  Were you also using Internet Explorer 8?  I too am using a wireless connection but just cannot get passed a 6030 error , which I think is from Silverlight.

0 Ratings
guilbo
Guru
Message 4 of 18

I don't think that there's anything in XP which would prevent you watching sport, but as zulu says if your video card isn't up to handling an HD stream you may have stuttering issues. Many PCs sold with XP installed won't have been built with HD in mind.

0 Ratings
bzcbzc
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Hi Guilbo, thanks for your comment but at this stage I cannot even get a stuttering picture!  I am getting a 6030 error, which I think is from Silverlight.  I also have the impression that BT technical support is under so much pressure that they are not even trying to solve problems from people running under Windows XP.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

No it probably Chrome   but I just tried with IE 8 and it launches OK.

0 Ratings
guilbo
Guru
Message 7 of 18

This thread has some useful tips. Particularly the bit about the big bunny (press play, top right).

0 Ratings
bzcbzc
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Thanks for the link to the other thread.  In my case I am able to watch the amusing video about the big bunny - so I guess that this means that Silverlight is installed on my PC correctly.  So just to recap: - my PC is running Windows XP (SP3) and I am using Internet Explorer 8, Silverlight is installed properly but when I try to view BT Sport on-line I get the spooling icon for a few seconds and then a 6030 error with VC019 underneath.  BT technical support are not prepared to help as they say that BT Sport will not work on a PC running Windows XP.

This link has identified two people who are viewing BT Sport from Windows XP.  Come on BT there must be quite a lot of us out here who were hoping to watch BT Sport from a PC running Windows XP.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 18

The difference between the test video you can play and the BT Sport stream that you can't  is I believe that BT Sport has DRM.

It seems Silverlight error code  6030 is

This content requires an output protection which cannot be enabled on this machine

This error is raised via the MediaFailed event whenever a license contains an unsupported license protection. This error is raised before the MediaOpened event has been raised.

One "solution" suggested  for 6030 problems  on another forum for another product

6030 - Uninstall Microsoft Silverlight from your computer then reboot it and then install an older version. To do this Google "old silverlight" and find and  install  say version 5.0.61118 . Make sure you have automatic updates turned off on it so it doesn't update itself to the latest version. 

Now I have no  personal experience of this solution and you should always  exercise caution in downloading from site.

A google search on

silverlight error message list

should show you the other product forum link where the error codes are listed  with a  possible solution.

(I believe a direct link to that forum is contrary to thiis forum rules - hence  the guidance as to how you can get there.)

0 Ratings
bzcbzc
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Hi Zulu17

Many thanks for your interest and your explanation of what causes a 6030 error.  So far I have not had any luck searching for the Silverlight Error List but I will persist.

I have found out that I can access BT Sport from my laptop, which also runs under Windows XP; this proves to me that BT Technical Supoort were just fobbing me off!  However, it is a tiny screen and for some reason there was no sound so I would prefer to get my Desktop PC working.

I don't really want to go back to an old version of Silverlight because I think that this will cause more problems in the future. 

Do you have any ideas about how to 'enable output protection on my machine'?  Or how to change the licence 'to contain supported licence protection'?

Also do you know at what stage a BT moderator gets involved?  Help on any of this would be appreciated not just from Zulu17.

0 Ratings