cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Sport over Copper Broadband to BT Vision

I was on a trial for BT Sports over Freeview but have been taken off the trial as I have been told my exchange has been switched to deliver Sport over Broadband and not Freeview signal ??????

My BT Sports channels have now changed to 507, 508 and 509 but all have no picture and say "Problems with your Broadband have interrupted your viewing, press help to troubleshoot"

Troubleshoot screen says it has detected I dont have Home Hub 3 or above connected ( I have Black BT Home Hub 2 )

My BT Vision box is connected directly to my BT Hub via ethernet cable and all On Demand content for movies and TV work fine.

I have checked via laptop and I CAN watch ESPN now on the BT Sports On-line player.

Do I now need to contact BT and get a new HUB?

My exchange has not been upgraded for Fibre yet so its nothing to do with that. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Sport over Copper Broadband to BT Vision

The new channels are streamed using multicast.  If your router doesn't support multicast, it isn't going to work.  A HH3 with the latest software, or a HH4 will work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

OK I undertsand,  but I'm not sure my exchange has been set up for multi-cast.  I checked wholesale website and it doesn't say it has

This is a Very Frustrating!  I was told many times by people cunducting Trial and by all BT press releases that I would NOT require to update any hardware.

Now 1 week before it goes live they update my Software/exchange type and change my BT Sport Channels from Freeview to Multi-cast with no warning and no message to say "hey you will need a new Home Hub"

Even the people conducting the freeview trial must have known, they knw I have a BT Home Hub 2.  I am now testing with a Home Hub 3 borrowed from neighbours with latest firmware and still cant get channels.

Do I now have to contact BT to get my Hub upgraded?  

This reflects VERY poorly on BT.  Flagship sports channel they have been testing and marketing for months and week before it goes live they change peoples settings and they cant watch any of it.... typical BT

Tried calling and can't get through. Got stuck waiting on webchat from 19:20 for 20+mins and when I get to number 1 in queue it cuts me off after 2 mins saying no available analysts...... typical BT

VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!

anyone know where I go from here?????????????????????????????

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

An interesting post here from someone who said they were receiving multicast over ADSL using a HomeHub 2.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/Sports-Without-Infinity/m-p/915452#M49948

I must admit that from what I'd read on these forums I thought that the HH2 didn't support multicast (see my post above that one), but maybe that was just the HH2 VDSL version and not the HH2 ADSL version? Things of course may have changed since then anyway as they were ironing out issues and BT might require at least a HH3 for it now.

Get them to send you a free HH4 (or even a trial HH5). Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

been trying neighbours HH3 with latest firmware and checked my BT Vision which has latest software and multicast middleware etc ..... 

Still cannot watch channels.

any idea where I go from here?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

UPDATE:

Got through to BT after 20 mins last night.  few questions later was put through to Queue for BT Sport team.

Another 20 mins later repeated problem to very helpful analyst Rahul who agreed with me that I should NOT have been migrated to MULTICAST settings on my BT Vision box.... Like I thought.

Rahul checked and my exchange is NOT supposed to be Multicast enabled and my ADSL speed would NOT be fast enough to support.  He also mentioned I WOULD need to upgrade to HH3 if I could have recieved Multi-Cast

Now means he has to hand my problem over to Technical Helpdesk who should contact me within 24 hrs ( had that before and wasn't called back

So looks like BT decided to simply change my settings the week before the start olf programming without checking that a.) my exchange was enabled to support this and

b.) I would have the proper equiment at my end to supprt Multi-cast

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

UPDATE:

Got through to BT after 20 mins last night.  few questions later was put through to Queue for BT Sport team.

Another 20 mins later repeated problem to very helpful analyst Rahul who agreed with me that I should NOT have been migrated to MULTICAST settings on my BT Vision box.... Like I thought.

Rahul checked and my exchange is NOT supposed to be Multicast enabled and my ADSL speed would NOT be fast enough to support.  He also mentioned I WOULD need to upgrade to HH3 if I could have recieved Multi-Cast

Now means he has to hand my problem over to Technical Helpdesk who should contact me within 24 hrs ( had that before and wasn't called back

So looks like BT decided to simply change my settings the week before the start olf programming without checking that

a.) my exchange was enabled to support this 

b.) I would have the proper equiment at my end to supprt Multi-cast

SO THANKS BT FOR FIXING SOMETHING THAT WASNT BROKEN AND CAUSING THE PROBLEM THAT STOPPED ME WATCHING OPENING DAY.... GREAT WORK AGAIN.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I guess this is the situation i am in..... 😞 So i assume simply getting a HH3 will not resolve the issue then?

What number did you call for support? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

NUMBER IS 0800 111 4567

IF YOU GET YOUR SPORT ON 507, 508 AND 509 YOU ARE ON MULTICAST AND ACCORDING TO BT SPORT TEAM NEED AROUND 5-6 MEG FOR MULTICAST TO WORK.  TO DOUBLE CHECK LOOK AT SETTINGS >SYSTEM INFORMATION AND SEE IF THE MIDDLEWARE VERSION NUMBER HAS MULTICAST IN IT SOMEWHERE. 

TO CHECK IF YOUR EXCHANGE IS SET UP FOR MULTI-CAST CHECK THIS SITE https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

IF IT HAS MULTICAST IN THE AVAILABLE PRODUCTS YOURS "SHOULD" WORK.

IF IT IS READY FOR MULTICAST THEN YOU WILL NEED HH3. TO ACCESS CHANNELS.

WHEN YOU CALL THE NUMBER ITS A GENERAL BT VISION HELPDESK, THEY WERE TRYING TO PALM ME OFF WITH IT IS A NETWORK PROBLEM THAT MANY CUSTOMERS WERE HAVING AND SHOULD BE FIXED IN 24HRS BUT I ASKED FOR DETAILS AND HIS E.I.N (EMPLOYEE NUMBER) AND SUDDENLY HE ADVISED THAT HE COULD PASS ME ON TO THE BT SPORT DEDICATED TEAM.

THE GUY FROM SPORTS KNEW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT AND CHECKED IT ALL WITH ME AND AGREED THAT THIS WAS THE FAULT BUT IT NEEDS TO GO TO TECHNICAL TEAM TO REMOTELY CHANGE MY BT VISION FIRMWARE TO A FREEVIEW SETTING.......

...... STILL WAITING......

GOOD LUCK

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it 🙂

i might have a problem with receiving the channels by BB even if i have a HH3 anyway if 5-6 MB is needed because i'm lucky if i get 5MB most of the time... usually 4.5MB is my normal speed.

Earlier tonight i tried retuning my Vision box and ever since i did that Ch 57 now works. Still no appearance of 58 and 59 though....  

Below are the results from the check site... no mention of multicast so looks like i need my settings changed to freeview also. Will try calling tomorrow i think.

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5--4 to 6Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4.5--3.5 to 5.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----

Available

Thanks again for your help 🙂

0 Ratings