cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
efelstead
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

BT Sport using Firefox or Google Chrome WITHOUT Internet Explorer (Windows 7/Internet Explorer 11)

Go to solution

Hi all

I am a newcomer to BT Sport and find that using a desktop  shortcut to start the programme automatically starts Internet Explorer which sits on the bottom taskbar.

This is VERY bad news for me as using Internet Explorer 11 crashes BT Sport  to a white screen with the egg timer and the computer completely locked requiring a cold reboot to get going again.

This is using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11.

However I have found that BT Sport will run using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox BUT only if I use the browser to search for a link to BT Sport and use that link to fire up the programme.This avoids any link to Internet Explorer.

This is a messy way of starting BT Sport and there must be a better way?

If any members of the forum can point me to a way of creating a desktop shortcut to BT Sport without Internet Explorer being involved I would be very grateful

Thank you

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Sport using Firefox or Google Chrome WITHOUT Internet Explorer (Windows 7/Internet Explorer 1

Go to solution

Your desktop shortcut to a webpage (BT Sport) will automatically open your default browser  which in your case seems to be IE - So one option is to change your default browser to either Google Chrome or Firefox. However if  you do not wish to do that.(eg you want to continue to use IE for all your other browsing) and you only use Google Chrome or Firefox ocasionally eg for BT Sport.

Then you could define the BT Sport page as your home/start page for Google Chrome or Firefox - that way as soon as you select the appropriate  browser shortcut it will open at the BT Sport page.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-set-the-home-page

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en

0 Ratings
efelstead
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Sport using Firefox or Google Chrome WITHOUT Internet Explorer (Windows 7/Internet Explorer 1

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your response.

Using BT Sport as the home page for either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox seems the ideal solution.

I have considered dumping Internet Explorer 11 for some time now as it not only wreaks BT Sport

but Sky Go as well.

I realise both systems use Silverlight but I think there is something fundamentally wrong deep inside IE 11.

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings