cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 20

Re: BT Synergy 5500 - Caller Display / Missed Calls missing??

@bfg wrote:
i forgot to mention: try the check codes first, dial *#234# before any equipment check as this will tell you whether the service is being provided from the exchange 😉

I have had caller working for years out of curiosity I tried your number and it has switched call OFF as I get the message calls will not be displayed and they are NOT   so what number puts it back ON Smiley Mad

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

@hamish72 wrote:

I have had caller working for years out of curiosity I tried your number and it has switched call OFF as I get the message calls will not be displayed and they are NOT   so what number puts it back ON Smiley Mad

AND you're paying for it? I'd be Smiley Mad too Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 20

Found it *234# puts it on and #234# puts it off once its active Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 20

@hamish72 wrote:

Found it *234# puts it on and #234# puts it off once its active Smiley Very Happy

I can't find anything on my confirmation email from BT that says you have to activate Caller Display by entering a code, nor anywhere on the BT website. Is this a hack, or what?

If it's legit, then do you have to call a number first then enter the code when prompted , or just wait for the dial tone and enter *234#?

It's all very odd.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 20

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

@hamish72 wrote:

I can't find anything on my confirmation email from BT that says you have to activate Caller Display by entering a code, nor anywhere on the BT website. Is this a hack, or what?

If it's legit, then do you have to call a number first then enter the code when prompted , or just wait for the dial tone and enter *234#?

It's all very odd.

No but those code only work after caller is activated and working

Its years since I started with caller but I'm sure I had no part in the initial activation

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

@hamish72 wrote:

I see that Stephanie rated hamish72's post Smiley Happy

@Stephanie, can we infer that this is the official BT-recommended solution?

If so, can you clarify the procedure please?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

@hamish72 wrote:

I see that Stephanie rated hamish72's post Smiley Happy

@Stephanie, can we infer that this is the official BT-recommended solution?

If so, can you clarify the procedure please?

Forget that please Stephanie Smiley Happy

Since then I discovered what's wrong Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
bfg
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 20

Hi Guys,

Didnt include any of the other codes as the service should be activated by BT when you order it, the check code *#234# is just a useful way to see if the service is being provided from the exchange (can help when talking to BT help desks, as they cant see whether the service is actually being provided, just what the computer says).

Sounds like you have now tracked down the problem (I'm guessing BT.com ordering systems have a problem).

The codes *234# to 're activate' the service is if, for any reason, you want to remove the service temporarily by the #234# code you can then switch it back on (not sure why anybody would want to do this, but the facility is there if you do), these codes will only work if the service is actually provided and isnt a way to turn on the service.

Sorry for any problems Hamish, the code shouldnt turn off your service, just give you an automated message to say if it is there, and if the service is on or off.

P.S the chargable caller display service is the same product as the 'privacy at home' free caller display and there is no difference between the two other than price.

The codes should be dialled as a number (don't need to call anything first).

0 Ratings
xp
Beginner
Message 19 of 20

@bfg wrote:

HI xp,

it might be worth ruling out a faulty adsl/micro filter ast hey can 'filter out' the number to be displayed.

Try removing the adsl/micro filter and try the phone directly into the bt connection (if you have a NTE5 or line box, which is the white BT socket with a 'line or split' horizontily across the front of the face plate, you can unsrew the face plate and try just the phone directly into the 'test port' inside. Check www.bt.com/faults and the decription of sockets before unscrewing the face plate, as if you dont have the NTE5 you may damage the wiring and cause further problems).

If the numbers are displayed in the test point or without the micro filters, the filter is the possible cause of your problem. If you have the smae problem it is a possible fault with the phone itself (try a factory reset by disconnecting from the bt line and power for 15 minutues) and it might need returning or replacing.

Good luck.

Hi Bfg,

Thanks for your advice, I've plugged the phone directly in to the socket and the number comes up.

I've tried swapping the micro filter to a different one and it stops the number coming up again?!

Any way around this?

0 Ratings
bfg
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 20

I'm afraid its now a process of elimination to track down the offending apperatus.

It could eiether be the lead running to the router, the router itself or the 'filter' at the other end of the line.

It is also possible that the second filter is also faulty, the internet is full of advice about not using 'cheap' filters and i beleive BTs are as cheap as they get.

Try the phone and filter (if you can borrow a known working one from a friend it can make this easier for you to track the problem) in the test port without the lead to the router, if the caller dispaly works, try with the lead, check again and then try with the router/hub, if still no joy it might be the 'filter' at the other end of the line Smiley Sad

this would be an issue of calling the help desks, for BT 0800 111 4567.

hope that helps.

0 Ratings