Did you mean: 
LindaS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 141 of 149

Re: BT TO SCRAP 300GB LIMIT!.

Go to solution

@Andy_N wrote:

@LindaS wrote:

Has this definitely been scrapped? We (5 student house Smiley Indifferent) were activated on the 7th April, on the 30th April when the bandwidth counter reset we had used 265GB and between the 30th April and today we probably used another 40GB (~305GB for the month). We had a stable 38mbit connection up until this morning... now we're getting 2mbit maximum which looks very much like we've been capped.

Hi.

Kerry has provided the information regarding the usage limit being lifted.

Note that the usage is per calendar month, not based on activation/billing date.

What particular service were you using to see the 2Mb speed ? Or was that in general ? May I ask how you are measuring the speed ?

I'm on BT Infinity option 2. I've only been getting 2mbit all day from every site.

I just tested the speedtester.bt.com while wired (ethernet) into the router with me being the only person on the network, nothing else running with internet access and I only got 2.6mbit (325KB/s).

Edit: Speed is back up to 37mbit this morning, must have been a temporary fault.

0 Ratings
ady199
Aspiring Expert
Message 142 of 149

Go to solution
KerryG mentioned that the 'official annoucement' will be made this week.

Has this happend yet??
0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 143 of 149

Go to solution

Hi ady199

Sorry for the wait, the official announcement was made last week...i'll copy it below for your info:

"BT announced in March 2011 that it was to begin to remove the Fair Usage Policy (FUP) controls then applied to customers with unusually heavy usage (typically over 300Gb per month). We can now confirm that these controls have been lifted. Individual broadband customers will no longer have their line speed restricted due to their usage and all customers who were already restricted have had their restrictions released.

Additional usage charges on options that are not unlimited and management of non-time critical peer-to-peer traffic will remain."

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
olisun
Contributor
Message 144 of 149

Go to solution

Nice...

Now all that remains is reducing the 18month contract to 12 months... Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Paingiver
Contributor
Message 145 of 149

Go to solution

Thats easy. Just wait 6 months! Smiley Tongue

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jukkie
Message 146 of 149

Go to solution

Didn't care about the 300GB limit, would much rather they removed (or at least lessened) the ridiculous P2P throttling.

If I knew how bad it was I would NEVER have come to BT...

0 Ratings
DirtyHarry
Message 147 of 149

Go to solution

Hi,

I know this an old post, but I am still unsure about who this applies to? I am on BT Total Broadband Option 3, but all references that I have seen to the usage limit seem to apply only to FIBRE broadband, and I'm not sure what this is? I get my BB via telephone line. Also, a lady on the technical helpdesk at BT told me it was unlimited, then, when I questioned it, told me that it was 100Gb per month? So is there a difinitive answer to this question? Many thanks. DH Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 148 of 149

Go to solution

Yes.

BT Total broadband Option 3 UNLIMITED

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 149 of 149

Go to solution

this is an old post and has been superseded - option 3 is unlimited as is infinity option 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings