Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sodafountain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

BT TV Starter, but using my own boxes

Go to solution

If you have BT Broadband, and watch Catch Up or Netflix through a Youview box with a BT TV subscription, it does not count towards your useage.

What if you have BT TV starter, at a £49 activation fee, but £0 a month, which is a non recording box, but then buy a BT Youview box from Ebay (or 2), and connect them up for the free channels, and On Demand, as you have a BT TV subscription, and are watching through a BT Youview box, does this work for not counting towards your useage?

The BT website only mentions using a seperately bought BT Youview box without a BT TV service, that any usage would count towards your useage.

See here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495

For customers without a BT TV subscription, usage incurred watching YouView through a YouView box purchased from a retail outlet (e.g. BBC iPlayer, 4OD, 5Demand, or other content) will count towards the monthly broadband usage allowance.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
sodafountain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT TV Starter, but using my own boxes

Go to solution

I have also seen this:

Using the service

1. Unless you take a minimum 12 month BT TV promotion, any on demand video content you watch on your set top box that is not provided by BT will count towards the download limit for BT Broadband (where applicable).

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/TV.html

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

The simplest option is really just go with unlimited then you don't have to worry

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
sodafountain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

Indeed, but at an extra £13 a month, when my monthly useage before having a BT Youview box was only 1GB, that works out quite expensive, if a 1 off £49 will cover it.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

@sodafountain wrote:

Indeed, but at an extra £13 a month, when my monthly useage before having a BT Youview box was only 1GB, that works out quite expensive, if a 1 off £49 will cover it.

if you ever watch catchup or netflix i would be surprised if your usage never exceeded 1GB - if you are now on youview and are looking at watching netflix or any catchup it is highly recommended to switch to an unlimited plan, especially as this will protect you in the event BT incorrectly charge you usage for watching on youview box, which has happened in the past to customers

0 Ratings
sodafountain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

We only use an ipad for looking at facebook at the moment, browsing the web, stuff like that, as we are in our 70's, we do not have or need other equipment, therefore our useage is very low, never above 1GB.

Obviously, if i had a Youview box, my useage would go up, that is the point of this thread, to ask a question.

I do not see why i should have to give BT an extra £13 a month, just because they might make an error with my billing, are you in the habit of just throwing over £150 away a year just because someone moght make an error with your bill?

Their terms clearly state you can use your own box, @zulu17 has even pointed me to another thread that states this is ok, so do not know why others are insisting i should go onto a more expensive package, just in case of an error.

If BT make an error on my bill, i will report it as incorrect, i do not see why I should pay £13 extra to "protect" ms from errors!!

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

Nobody was insisting you go for unlimited it was a suggestion only.

I want to raise several things with you.

1. The starter pack will cost you £4 after the twelve months. Were you aware of that?

2.  I am confused as to what package you are on that would require a £13 jump per month.

As a pensioner myself your age has nothing to do with you usage my neatly 90 yr old mother is on unlimited because she is a high user of the iplayer.

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
sodafountain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

I am aware my age has no bearing on my useage, as others may use more, was just pointing out how we currently used the internet, on an iPad, with occassional use, and using no more than 1GB in a month.

Thus we are on the 10GB package, which is costing us £5 a month. I know this is doscounted, but that is for a year, we have only just had it (about 2 months), and to upgrade to unlimited, BT want £18 a month, so that is an increas of £13.

BT tell me that any useage on a Youview box does not count towards your 10GB limit, so i was trying to find out if i ordered the starter pack at £49. then paid £0 a month (for 12 months), would i be able to use a BT Youview+ box, and not have the download count as part of my allowance, rather than using the supplied non recording box.

I have now bene informed that I can, so that is the best way to go without having to spend extra money.

Yes, I know it goes up to £4 after 12 months, and I know my broadband will also go up after 12 months, at which point, I can then decice which option would be better (cancel my BT TV and upgrade to Unlimited, or stay as i am), all depending on costs.

Doing it this way should save me about £100, which I am entitled to do, if it's in BT's T&C's to do so.

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution
I'm a little confused what are you planning on downloading? Do you mean simply recording the freeview and BT sports channels? You may have mentioned this earlier but I don't recall and I am on my phone at the moment

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings