cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 29

BT TV, Youview and BT Sport - NO BT INFINITY

I wanted to start this thread so we can get a clear understanding on what is on offer for YouView from BT customers who don't have access to Infinity and whether we will need to "roll back" to a BT Vision box to receive BT Sport AND whether we'll ever get the IPTV channels.

Given that the BT Sport advert states that you will need a minimum of 4mbps then I am fairly confident I will be able to receive BT Sport via my Internet connection but maybe on.

If a Mod can confirm or deny the that would be great! 🙂
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 29

Re: BT TV, Youview and BT Sport - NO BT INFINITY

I to have a Bt Youview box, and live in an area which at this moment has no fibre or infinaty, I have tried to ring and ask what I need to do to receive Bt Sport, even if that means swapping my box for a bt vision box???  To date I have been told Youview will have access???  Also told that I will be sent a viewing card???  I then had to explain the youview box has no slott???

I was then told to await a call or email to tell me what I would have to do to receive it???  So your guess is has good as mine???

I really think what Bt are doing with their new sport channel is fantastic, taking on Sky, but they need to be crystal clear on how you get it. Cover all basis.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 29

Sounds like the complexities of the situation are getting beyond the grasp of the call centre operatives Smiley Frustrated

So, if you have a BT Youview box you cannot receive via the aerial as the box has no slot (as you quite rightly say!).

Your options are:

1) Connect your PC / mobile device to your TV and watch through the BT Sport Application - unlikely to be particularly watchable on the big screen, or

2) Get a BT Vision+ box as well, and use that to watch in SD via your aerial.

3) Get a Sky box & dish and get BT sport added for free!

IMHO a better option would be for BT to retail CI+ CAMs (like TopUp TV), and smart cards for £10, for BT broadband customers who have a spare slot in their HDTVs........ so what do you think you need to do to get that suggestion adopted? Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 29

I was also told that my Youview box would be able to receive the Bt Sports and ESPN channels on my non fibre/infinity line, and that I would get a call /email shortly before 1st Aug to 'update me' on how to get them on the Youview box.

When I said that I had Freesat from sky with card he took the number to enable it and said that it was the 'preferred' option.

So are they hoping that Youview will get it or have they something up their sleeves?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 29

It's not clear what type of line you are saying you have - do you mean you have an ADSL connection, or a FTTC Infinity Connection? Smiley Indifferent

If you have ADSL then no, you are presently not going to get those channels on your BT Youview box (unless perhaps you are on an Infinity-enabled exchange but connected to a non-fibre cabinet - they may have a plan for people in that situation).

If you mean you have FTTC (i.e. Infinity service connected over a copper cable into your house) then yes, you will receive those channels on your BT Youview box from 1st August.

But your Freesat from Sky box is probably the best solution (assuming it is an HD box).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 29

It's an ADSL line with no infinity in sight ( going by the openreach schedule), BUT when I spoke to an Openreach engineer last Autumn he said that Infinity was 'at the exchange'.

I remarked that i had seen 3 or 4 Fujitsu vans at the local exchange a few weeks earlier and was told that was what they were doing.

I have a Sky HD box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Hi, Follow this link, it should help you, put you're postcode in on the right hand side.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 29

So BT have promoted YouView to customers clearly saying that BT Vision would merge with Youview when the BT Sport launches. So I swapped to Youview; picture quality is great, HD channels are fantastic and the overall package is great. However, it now looks like I will have to "roll back" to an inferior product, IMHO. I, for one, can't afford to pay for yet another activation fee and am feeling a little annoyed that BT haven't been able to find a solution for non-infinity accounts.

Can a MOD please give us th final detail instead of call centre staff giving out incorrect information? Thanks, mild rant over!
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 29

The only choice we've got is to watch BT Sports online via a PC, via an iPhone or android app or to roll back to Vision+ if you want to watch on your tv (and the latter has a £49 activation fee plus £10 charge for the viewing card ... for the same kit many disposed of in order to get YouView).

Dire stuff. But that's your choices.

We're rolling back. We'll keep our YouView box safe until we get Infinity then upgrade again ... and presumably get another free YouView box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

So can i unpug my YV, and put my Vision box back? its the old silver one though - feel thoroughly conned tbh.

I have a freesat receiver, but no view card, would i need one?

0 Ratings