cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imacken
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

BT TV work without aerial for premium channels?

I have recently upgraded to 4K TV etc. I use satellite only - Sky - and cannot get an aerial signal as I am in a large dip. 

My question is, can I get the BT Sport Ultra HD content from the BT TV box without an aerial? I have fast broadband and have no interest in the Freeview stuff?

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 32

Re: BT TV work without aerial for premium channels?

As far as I'm aware you would need an aerial for initial setup as the signal is used to determine location for the Catch Up apps. I've read of some people getting around this by taking the box to a neighbours house and using their aerial connection to allow for this initial setup.

However, I'm sure someone else will come along to either confirm or refute that part of my post.

You don't require an aerial for BT Sport, the extra internet supplied channels, or BT Player. That will all work over your Infinity connection. So if someone else can confirm the correct path for box setup re aerial requirements you should be good to go.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 32

Did you read the information about a TV aerial before you ordered the BT YouView box?

You will need a TV signal during the setup, and may have issues later when it tries to scan for new channels.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 32

So from the links provided you'll see you don't need an aerial for what you want the box for (ie. anything that's not provided by Freeview or related apps such as BBC iplayer etc).

Many people only get BT Youview for the sport and internet channels and the BT Player as they can access Freeview and associated players through their existing tv (in my case the players work much better through my TVs built in Freeview Play facility and are more reliable than through the Youview box).

Of course BT may still insist you have an aerial connected for initial setup etc.

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 6 of 32

Thanks guys, the situation is still not totally clear. The various BT sites say it will work without an aerial but don’t say anything about the setup issue that a few have mentioned. 

I called BT - for what that is worth - and they said that I don’t need an aerial to set the device up or use it. I’m not always convinced that the advice from these front line people is correct, but I guess I should take their advice. 

Another question, will any YouView Ultra HD box work or do I have to buy from BT?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 32

I stiil think you may have problems without an aerial to set it up.

You have to buy via your BT contract, if you want the BT Premium channels.

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 8 of 32

Well, in the absence of someone’s actual experience of trying this, I’ll have to take the advice of BT customer service who said there was an option to setup without aerial.
Risky, but I guess if their advice is incorrect then I can send the box back and cancel the subscription.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 32

From the ordering page.

What do I need to get BT TV?

You'll need the following before you can install BT TV:

• oA god quality outdoor TV aerial.
  • A strong digital TV signal.
  • BT home hub and the right broadband speed for the TV service you choose. Use our BB checker to see what line speeds you can get. If your line speed isn't fast enough, you may be able to boost it with our Broadband Accelerator
  • BT TV YouView set-top box.

These are requirement which you must meet, as part of your order.

So you may have problems cancelling it, despite what the agent has said.

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 10 of 32

Thanks Keith, other BT pages say something different. Sadly, this is all speculation. I wish someone here had actually tried it!
0 Ratings