cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 32

Re: BT TV work without aerial for premium channels?

When I set up BT YouView at my daughter`s house last year, it would not allow me to get past the initial setup page, without an aerial connected, and I had to run a temporary cable to the box to get it working, as the TV feed was not yet in the correct position.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 32

I think you need an aerial for initial setup to allow the box to access your local region for the catch up apps and their players. Although you may not want the box for accessing Freeview it does need access to the information on 1st run. The CS rep would be correct in saying you don't need an aerial if you don't want to use that part of the box functionality but I don't think there is any way around needing it for 1st run setup.

One other thing of note, you do not need a BT Hub to use BT TV. I always go with a 3rd party router as they are much more efficient than BT's Hubs (and have other advantages over being locked into BT's Hub software).

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 13 of 32

Thanks guys. I’m completely happy with the BT Smarthub at the moment. 

My issue is that it is impossible for me to get an aerial signal.

I really don’t know what to believe as the rep said there was an option to setup without aerial, Freeview and on-demand services, which I don’t want or need anyway. 

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 32

Hi @imacken, I moved to BT in September, I'd had Sky for ages and I haven't had an aerial for 10 years.

I was told that I didn't have to have an aerial but I would obviously only receive the BT subscription channels.

My set up went without a hitch, although I don't have catch up for ITV and C4. 

Rather than have an aerial fitted, I bought  a freesat recorder for my Sky dish, it can be a pain switching between the two recorders but it's worth it to have the ability to record 4 channels.

So for me, it works fine without an aerial. If people have had problems then I would suggest it's down to iffy boxes. The first Humax Freesat recorder I bought hung during set up, it froze detecting the satellite feeds, it was definitly the box because I checked the feed with an old unit. The replacement works fine.

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 15 of 32

Thanks for that, Andy005. So, are you saying you managed to do the initial set up of the BT box without an aerial ok?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 32

Yes, it was easy and straightforward. 

The lady I spoke to at BT when I ordered it said I didn't have to have an aerial, and you don't.

I plugged it in, connected it to the Hub and it went straight though the set up process without any problems. 

I do have the 4k box, I don't know if that makes any difference, it shouldn't.

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 17 of 32

That’s good to hear. Yes, it’s the 4K box I am interested in. What you say is what I was told by the BT rep on the phone, but a few here laid seeds of doubt. Good to hear from someone who has actually tried it, thanks a lot.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 32

It may be that they've updated the software recently, not that it matters now.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 32

What I am about to say is fact....

On FirstGen, one doesn't need an aerial to boot up. On NextGen, one does and it won't boot up without one. So much so I wouldn't recommend a hybrid YouView box without an aerial.

I know first line customer service told you you don't, but you do. Sadly, their advice is poor to say the least.

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 20 of 32

With all due respect to everyone who has been kind enough to reply, I have got nowhere with this question.

Various people - Andy005 who has made the setup work without an aerial plus BT customer service - have said that it's OK withour an aerial on the 4K box, yet others are insistent that it's not.

I find it hard to understand why such a basic question is producing a mix of the 2 possible opposite answers!

I'm tending to believe Andy005 as he has actually tried and succeeded, but there again.......

(Keyinferno, I have no idea what 'FirstGen', 'NextGen', 'hybrid YouView box' mean in this context. Sorry!)

0 Ratings