cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 32

Re: BT TV work without aerial for premium channels?

Mixed responses indeed @imacken but if @Andy005 got his working in September then it is most likely it does now carry out the initial setup without an aerial Smiley Happy

'First Gen' is what we now call what was the old style software on the boxes. 'Next Gen' was a complete overhaul of this software and is what the boxes will now have.

A hybrid box is simply a box which (in this case) provides access to normal tv signals alongside the Catch up players and extra channels (such as BT Sport) provided over your internet connection.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 32

As I said, I'm new to BT so I had no knowledge of whether it HAD to have an aerial or not, but even now I can't for the life of me understand why that would be a requirement. There's no logic to it.

All I can say @imacken is that it works fine for me, exactly as BT said it would. If for any reason you do encounter a problem then you are within your cancellation period anyway, and they have sold a product not as described.

When you have read about people having problems, is there any mention of an error message such as "An aerial must be connected" or does it just hang?

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 23 of 32

Andy, I’m guessing that the issue could be the initial scanning for channels. If it can’t do that, then it might complain. I really don’t know!

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 32

It was just a thought, if there isn't a specific error message then it makes me think it maybe something else. As I said earlier my brand new Humax Freesat recorder hung on installation looking for channels when the sat signal was very good, so it gave me a poor impression of Humax, and Humax make the BT box.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 32

@imacken

The best place to ask would be the official Youview Community forum https://community.youview.com/youview

Let us know how you get on there as this would be useful information for others in future.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 32

Youview.jpg

0 Ratings
j0hn83
Contributor
Message 27 of 32

@Keyinferno wrote:

What I am about to say is fact....

On FirstGen, one doesn't need an aerial to boot up. On NextGen, one does and it won't boot up without one.

That's some fact, considering it's incorrect.

Both my BT Humax DTR-2100 and Talktalk Huawei DN370T work without an aerial. Both will install without an aerial.

The Talktalk box has not had an aerial connected in over 3 years, working on both OldGen/NextGen.

The BT Humax DTR-2100 came with NextGen, and installed without an aerial.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 32

Good post @j0hn83. I think @imacken has been waiting for someone to post with first hand experience of setting up without an aerial. I've always had an aerial attached so could only answer with opinions garnered from other sources. Hopefully your post answers this query once and for all. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 32

@j0hn83 wrote:

@Keyinferno wrote:

What I am about to say is fact....

On FirstGen, one doesn't need an aerial to boot up. On NextGen, one does and it won't boot up without one.

That's some fact, considering it's incorrect.

Both my BT Humax DTR-2100 and Talktalk Huawei DN370T work without an aerial. Both will install without an aerial.

The Talktalk box has not had an aerial connected in over 3 years, working on both OldGen/NextGen.

The BT Humax DTR-2100 came with NextGen, and installed without an aerial.

Then I defer to your supieror judgemet. So do you recommend the OP to YouView without an aerial?

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 30 of 32

@MadRob wrote:

Good post @j0hn83. I think @imacken has been waiting for someone to post with first hand experience of setting up without an aerial. I've always had an aerial attached so could only answer with opinions garnered from other sources. Hopefully your post answers this query once and for all. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, as BT want to charge me £20 for access to one channel, I’ve decided not to pursue this. However, I’m pretty sure that the box can be installed without an aerial from what all sorts of people have said - including BT.

Also, I bought a new TV and on boot up, it had a prompt - as similarly mentioned by BT - asking how I wanted to setup, including the option of without aerial. It asked for my postcode later in the process to set up my location.must be the same sort of thing with the BT box.

0 Ratings