cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarbat
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Total Broadband - New contract advice

I've been advised by BT that I have two ways of getting my home hub (v1.0) fixed, because it is out of warranty.  Either pay £41 for a new one, or take out a new contract with BT.

Now, I'm unsure of the implications of a new contract.  I've been on BT Total Broadband Option 2 for over 3 years, and have no intention of switching to another supplier.  So, if I phone up BT and take out a new broadband contract:

1. How can I check what my original contract date was?

2. Do I definately get a new home hub, and will that be a v3?

3. Will I keep my existing "Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan with Friends & Family Mobile deal", or will they renegotiate my whole broadband & telephone contract?

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?

I'm currently paying £20.50 per month for broadband option 2, plus £13.60 per month for my telephone call plan deal, minus £1.25 per month for paperless billing.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Total Broadband - New contract advice

Try asking BT for a Migration Code as though leaving they will make you a much better offer and you can then get the hub free it will probably be hub 2 as the 3 seems to be issued for Infinity or very troublesome lines and customers and set up calls etc at that time

In the unlikely event of them giving the Mac you don't have to use it and it will expire after 30 days

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
meaga-byte
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Well a normal contract is only 18 months so by now you no longer have a contract meaning you can change ISP with no cabcelation fee.

depending on what option you want you could be paying less than you are now for more than u are currently getting.

Just a quick look at what BT offer now for £14 per month

• Fast broadband (Up to 20Mb!)
  • New BT Home Hub
  • 10GB allowance – perfect for everyday internet use
  • Basic online security – to stop those nasty viruses in your email
  • Includes UK evening and weekend calls
  • Free connection if you need a new line – when you order online
  • Yes you will get a new router and im 90% that it will be a HH3

Contributor
    Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the replies, looks like I should take out a new contract.  Hopefully BT can tell me my contract date for sure.

So, do BT offer packages other than the ones listed on their web site.  I really want broadband option 2 (40gb usage limit) and free evening/weekend telephone calls.  I can't seem to find this package.  Or will BT just let me renew my current contract which gives me 40gb and free evening/weekend calls.

0 Ratings
    meaga-byte
    Aspiring Expert
    Message 5 of 12

Hmm u got me there. To be honest with you if your happy with your current seup/speed/stuff and not to fussed about taking out another contract i would look into buying a 3rd party router such as Netgear or Belkin.

Eamdad
    Aspiring Expert
    Message 6 of 12

They are not giving the new HH3 to new customers untill 28th Feb. They still give you the HH2, you have to ask them for the HH3 tell them about how you saw it on their website and your not happy with a HH2. Worked for me, mine arrives tommorow.

0 Ratings
    meaga-byte
    Aspiring Expert
    Message 7 of 12

@Eamdad wrote:

They are not giving the new HH3 to new customers untill 28th Feb. They still give you the HH2, you have to ask them for the HH3 tell them about how you saw it on their website and your not happy with a HH2. Worked for me, mine arrives tommorow.

I thought they would have done new customers before old ones.

I have just upgraded from total braodband option 3 to infinity option 2 and

was told id get a HH3. It was delivered today altho i havent been home yet to have a look

tarbat
    Contributor
    Message 8 of 12

To be honest, I don't care whether it's a v2 or a v3, as long as it works!!  I'll probably go with a 10mb limit and anytime calls, should still be cheaper than my current package, so BT will lose money!!

It just seems a pain having to arrange a different contract just to get my home hub fixed for free.  I had thought that the home hub would be under warranty for as long as I contracted with BT, but obviously not.

0 Ratings
    hamish72
    Recognised Expert
    Message 9 of 12

No 12 months seems to be the warranty

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
    Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Distinguished Guru
    Message 10 of 12

The home hub is under warranty for the initial period of your contract (usually 12 or 18 months).  After that, you're on your own.  It's BT's sneaky way to avoid having to maintain/replace old kit - push the problem on to customers.

If you use Broadband Talk, be aware that the new Hub 3 doesn't support it.

You could always buy a second-hand hub from the well-known internet auction site.