cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AA99
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Total Broadband Package NIGHTMARE

After being with AOL for £19.99 p.m. for 7 years and having a separate BT Landline, I decided in August 2010 to switch to the very enticing BT package of Total Broadband Option 1, Broadband and Calls for £6.99 for the first 3 months. This was confirmed and transferred on 13 Sep 2010. Total monthly cost £20.77

On 7 October, I received an email advising that I had exceeded by Monthly useage allowance of 10GB and that in September I had downloaded 28GB.

To avoid additional costs, I upgraded to Option2 with 40GB download allowance and this became effective on 10 November. I also opted for BT Vision for which I paid £60 for the box. In addition I order Sky Sports1 for £6.99 p.m. (Contract now jumped from 18 to 24 months) Total cost p.m. now £39.26.

This was still not going to cost me any more than AOL Broadband + BT landline.

On 6 December 2010, my online BT bill arrived showing that £166 was to be taken from my account a week before Xmas !!! This included £60 for the BT Vision box plus £50 broadband useage.

I immediately telephone the accounts dept and explained that it was a bit of a hefty bill just before xmas and could I spread it over the next 3 months. Also that the SkySports option was not available in my area until September 2011 so could I cancel that and have the fees refunded.

It was agreed that would not be a problem and if I cancelled my direct debit for £166 that was due on 17 December, they would activate a payment plan of £54 p.m. for 3 months effective from 28 December 2010.

This amount, however, was not taken from my account and I went into my bank to check why not. They had no idea.

I then received a call on 07 January 2011 saying my bill was now over £286 and could they take £88 there and then over the phone and then pay £60 p.m. I could not do this as we are on pensions and benefits and my payment plans were now totally boshed up. I was very upset.

I just do not understand how all these broadband download useages can be justified. BT's own advert says:

A whopping 40GB allowance, enought to download 10,240 music files, 40,960 photos, 59 movies, 10 HD movies or 117 hours of iPlayer every month. If you exceed your usage allowance, we won't cut you off. You'll simply be charged a little extra (£5 per 5GB). UNQUOTE

All I do is surf the web................... and nobody in my house has downloaded ANY of the above 

So, all in all, it looks like I have made a serious mistake switching provider in order to save money 

Incidentally, all correspondence regarding my bank details have been addressed to an entirely different person's name, not mine! The Data Protection Act springs to mind!

Since I wrote the above, the latest is:

Have just spent 40 minutes with 4 different depts at BT 

I have been offered Option 3 at £40 p.m. plus £13.60 line rental 

I found 22 emails from BT in my btinternet.com email box yesterday. My profile indicates that I use my aol.com email address. BT have been corresponding with me on my aol.com address since November 2010.

I have been offered no explanation for overusing my broadband useage.

I was sold a SkySports1 package which cannot be used in my area until the end of 2011. I have been charged for this.  Received a part-refund 😞

I constantly receive bank detail correspondence addressed to someone else!

BT instructed me to cancel my direct debit on 17 December and they would set up a new one with an increased amount for 28 December 2010. This was never done by them.

No other options/arrangements available to me.

I expressed my dissatisfaction and advised that I would like this contract terminated.

I advised the rep that I record all my calls and was told I was breaking the law and he hung up on me 

What a truly unbelievable state of affairs!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
dw2011
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Total Broadband Package NIGHTMARE

This sounds absolutely appalling!!! It may be worth contacting Ofcom because this sounds very complicated and possibly has some legal implications: http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/ In regards to Usage meter, BT cannot give any information due to privacy – even though it’s YOUR usage history!!! We don’t have much to go on really…
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 8

Hi AA99,

Sounds pretty frustrating.  I'll be happy to help you out with this one and get everything straightened out.

Could you drop me in an email please with your BT account and telephone number along with a link back to this thread.

Just send to the email address in my profile and mark FAO Craig please.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Soulvache
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

I advised the rep that I record all my calls and was told I was breaking the law and he hung up on me 

What a truly unbelievable state of affairs!!!!!!!

Hi,

Did you advise the representative before you commenced any conversation that you were recording the call? You do have a legal obligation to advise that you will be recording the call before you enter into any conversation.

This may be why the call was terminated.

Obviously, this does not mean that you should have received such poor service and I hope you can get it sorted.

Kyle

=======================================
If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
0 Ratings
AA99
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Can I legally record telephone conversations on my home phone?
In the UK you are allowed to make recordings of your private conversations provided that the recording is for your own use. Often a recording can quickly resolve a disagreement. In some cases recordings are admissible as evidence.

UNQUOTE
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Providing to advise the person you are recording that you are recording them before you start the recording
0 Ratings
Highlighted
AA99
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I'm sorry John, you are wrong and I quote:

Is call recording lawful?
You will often find that people are not sure of the lawfulness of recording telephone conversations. The answer is that in the United Kingdom you are entitled to record your telephone conversations and you do not have to give warnings to the other side. However you are not allowed to use those recordings commercially or publicly. You may however, use them for private purposes and certainly to use a telephone recording to show that the other side has ignored or betrayed an agreement or has committed some other wrongdoing, is certainly permitted under UK law.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Soulvache
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Anybody is entitled to quote. The sources of the quotes are another matter completely.

The agent was quite within their rights to terminate the call. You did not provide notification that the call was being recorded prior to the conversation. The agent can either decide to continue based upon this information or pass you to somebody who is prepared to be recorded.

Advancing without giving prior knowledge is a perfectly valid reason for a call termination.

If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
0 Ratings