cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
villatone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

BT Total Broadband slow speed problems related to Infinity issues - see post

the Home hub 3 wired connection is an issue .. i have been fobbed off since Tuesday 19/6 ... my broadband crashed and then came back up at an amazing slow speed i.e 0.3mbps and ever since the speed has been between that and 0.8mbps - Bt have admitted to me that it is a problem and a hardware one!!! but were very vague around it ..... anyway its nearly sunday now and still operating at a speed of about 0.7mbps... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/06/bt-infinity-uk-working-hard-resolve-super-slow-fttc-bro...

regards VT

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Total Broadband slow speed problems related to Infinity issues - see post

that link was about problems with vdsl (infinity) not adsl which from the figures you posted I assume you are on adsl and not vdsl.  if vdsl then you have a real problem with such low speed.

If you are on adsl and in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
villatone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Re: BT Total Broadband slow speed problems related to Infinity issues - see post

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 07:03:21
Downstream:768 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.8 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):67.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):16.6 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):3088 / 6
CRC Events (Down/Up):4 / 1
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

with your attenuation I would expect a connection speed of about 1/1.2mb as you are about 5km from the exchange.  what about the master/test socket and quiet lin test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 23

Hi villatone,

I have around the same line length as you. Are you currently connected to your master socket or test socket?

At your line length I was getting around 0.8-1.2mb. But with a noise margin of 6dB not 10dB

I notice your connection time is 7hrs. Have you manually reset or restarted it? The hub should be connected and kept on 24/7 to prevent any problems.

I would get your noise margin reset to 6dB but after a 3+day stable connection

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
villatone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

SORRY I AM A LITTLE BIT SLOW ... BEAR WITH ME ... HERE THE SPEED TEST RESULTS !!!

0 Ratings
villatone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Your connection speed0.2 mbps

Your connection speed is the speed that your Home Hub communicates with the Telephone Exchange. This is usually the maximum speed your line can support for the broadband you're on.

Estimated speed2.0 mbps

The estimated connection speed is set when you ordered broadband with BT. This was based on various checks including the distance of your home to the Telephone Exchange and the quality of your telephone line.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

there is no way this is related to infinity as you have an adsl connection and VDSL uses a different network and totally different equipment
however are you connected to the test socket as per imjollys post as that will give you a direct exchange connection and eliminate any possible internal wiring problems
villatone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

connected to master, no line or noise problems....

Bt also checked the status of the line remotely and could see that there was a very slow speed going from the exchange to the Hub ..... if you read that posted link very carefully it refers to wired connections to the bt home hub 3 which is exactly what i have .... so i am quite sceptical that this is all linked in somehow or just plain coincidence ...... i appreciate the support and help you suggesting .... but nothing as changed here ,... other than broadband going down then back up and all of a sudden slow speeds .......... nothing touched........

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 23

are you able to connect it to the test socket then repost adsl statistics to see if there is anything noticable?

cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings