Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdng
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT UHD vs. HD Multicast Infrastructure

Hi,

Posting here hoping to get a clearer answer than I received from the sales call centre.

I currently watch but sport via the app and cast it to my tv.  I am keen to the UHD channel by subscribing to BT TV. When I went online, I was only offered the essential and entertainment packages and not the max package. I rang up to get clarification and was told my line speed was too slow however running a line test showed my speed to be 49Mbps (this is from the diagnostic test on BT’s website between the exchange and the home hub) down which is above the required threshold. I then spent an hour being bounced around departments but no one was able to give me a straight answer as to why the max package cannot be offered on my line at present.  It did not help that every time I spoke to a new person, I had to spend ten minutes going through the ‘line speed isn’t fast enough’ routine.

Eventually, the final operator I spoke to mentioned that there might be some issue with multicast infrastructure but she didn’t really understand how this works.  BT seem happy to sell me the HD sports channels through BT TV so my question is: is the infrastructure used different for UHD channel multicasting from the HD channels? Or is there potentially something else going on?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT UHD vs. HD Multicast Infrastructure

Try looking at this thread...

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Ultra-Box/m-p/1769425#M39553

As long as your test shows VDSL Multicast available there is no difference between HD and UHD multicast delivery. It is purely they use the Low clean speed from this test (which needs to be above 44Mbps to be able to order UHD). There is a way to badger them to prove you should be allowed it if your speed is proved to be over 44Mbps to your router but you need to get through the front facing teams and onto technical. A mod on here might be able to help.

0 Ratings
tdng
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. Multicast is indeed showing as available and the speed currently above 50Mbps down. Hopefully one of the mods can help. I did get put through to technical at one point when I called who did say the line was fine but this was dismissed again when I was put back through to sales.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 4 of 5

Hi @tdng,

I'll be able to take a look at this for you.

How long have you been on BT Infinity and what was your speed estimate when you signed up to the service? Please can you run the BT speed test using the link http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and post back the results?

I'll be able to take a look at your account, if your line speed is stable and around 49 Mbps, I should be able to get the UHD added to your account. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
tdng
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi @PaddyB,

Thanks for the response. I have sent a direct message. I have struggled with the link you posted as I don’t currently have a computer I can plug into the router and my tablet is not flash compatible.  The speed test results I am getting are off BT’s home diagnostics page accessible through the my bt page on their website.

I have had BT infinity at this address for 15 months since we moved here. I honestly cannot remember what was quoted when I got it set up as I was distracted by all the other fuss involved in moving and just wanted to get the internet working.  We are on the Infinity 1 package.

Thanks,

tdng

0 Ratings