Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

BT Unlimited Infinity 1 FTTP Alternative Router

Go to solution

Hello!

I'm asking this question for a friend of mine who has limited technical knowledge. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with how things work in the UK either because I live in a different European country, so please be patient with me. 🙂 

My friend just moved to a newly constructed house and is in the process of getting internet from BT, which is the only available provider in her area, according to her. Instead of the Home Hub 6 that's part of her contract, she would like to use an alternative router. I know this question has been asked many times before, but I just want to make 100% sure that an alternative router works with her configuration and contract. I also found conflicting answers online.

She told me she has a contract with unlimited data up to 52 mb speed, so I suppose she has the Unlimited Infinity 1 deal mentioned on BT's website. She sent me a picture of the configuration BT installed for her (I posted it below). The configuration clearly looks like she has a FTTP/FTTH connection with the backup battery box and the Openreach fibre modem (ONT). The HH6 is obviously not connected on the photo.

My questions are:

1) is it possible to use a different router (wired to the green ethernet cable) than the HH6 with this particular configuration?

2) Does the alternative router need to have a VDSL modem?  (my understanding is that the right Openreach box is the modem so I assume a separate modem is not required)

3) Are there any other requirements for a third party router? 

4) Can you recommend any particular models, which are easy to configurate and inexpensive? She doesn't have any special requirements and doesn't need a fast Wifi connection.

5) Which information are needed for the configuration of an alternative router?

Thank you!

20643715_10155773903502079_1850657083_n.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Unlimited Infinity 1 FTTP Alternative Router

Go to solution
Any "cable" router with an ethernet input will work.

Do you have a router in mind that you'd like us to confirm if it will be suitable?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
Any "cable" router with an ethernet input will work.

Do you have a router in mind that you'd like us to confirm if it will be suitable?

Thank you for your fast response. So there is definitely no further modem required and there a no special requirements for the router? I'm asking again because I read somewhere online that the router needs to support PPPoE, but I'm not sure this applies to my friend's configuration.

I thought about the TP-Link AC750, but I'm also open for other suggestions. 🙂 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
That's right, the ONT is essentially the modem.

Why is she not wanting to use the hub 6? Is there a certain feature she doesn't like? Or is there a feature missing that she requires?

The TP-link should work fine.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

(Wow, that looks like a well-connected home. Multiple ethernet ports next to the master socket. Envy 🙂

As you note, the router will need to use PPPoE, but pretty much any router will use PPPoE (and also DHCP). On the router's PPPoE configuration settings, set the username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com and leave the password blank.

Recommendations: Linksys EA6350 though the differences between the consumer routers a pretty small. No need to fret over the highest speed wifi as that usually requires similarly equipped end devices. I personally use MikroTik stuff, which is cheap and super configurable. It has a hardcore interface that I'd not recommend outside non-professionals.

Unless your friend is into networking, I'd advise going with the HH6. Why? Because that's what BT know how to support. Harder stuff like firewall configuration and UPNP is taken care of automatically.

One final thing that I find useful with alternative hardware is that BT's parental controls will work with any home router because it is performed on BT's network using DNS re-writing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Some routers require a password to be entered even though it is not necessary. In case of that just use BT as the password.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you all for your replies.

She doesn't want the HH6 because of the Fon function and BT dealings with customers who want to deactivate it. It's ridiculous that it takes them a month to deactivate the function and they reactivate it with every firmware update. Some people also report that the function reactivates after a few days without any interventions. There should be a simple switch in the router settings to turn it on and off. I understand that she wants to have control over her router and to have the ability to switch off Wifi entirely (for example at night) if she wants to. 

@flamethrower I have to admit that I'm also quite jealous about the ethernet wiring in her house. It makes things a lot easier.

Thank you for your router recommendation. She already ordered the TP-Link AC750 Archer C2. I think the specs are sufficient for her usage. She has the option to return it, so if there is anything I overlooked, please let me know about it. 🙂

I took a look at the firewall and UPNP settings in the user manual. They don't look too complicated, so I don't see a reason she should struggle with the configuration.

Thank you for the tip with the parental control, it's good to know that the function works with every router (I didn't know that).

@pippincp Thank you! That's really good to know! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

My friend just installed the router and everything works fine. It was really easy to configure. She just used the quick setup and the auto detect function of the TP Link AC750 C2. She entered the username bthomehub@btbroadband.com with no password. 

Thank you very much for your help, guys!

0 Ratings