cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveWS
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Virus Protect HackerWatch using all my CPU

My CPU is running at anything from 30% to 80% and the only thing running when I look at Task Manager is McAfee HackerWatch Update Helper.

How can I disable this ?

If I click End Task in the Task Manager it will not end.

Help please, this is stopping me doing almost anything on my PC.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Virus Protect HackerWatch using all my CPU

Hi,

I would suggest uninstalling it and replacing with a quality AV/security program.

There are free ones out there, (Google free anti virus), but I never use them. I use Symantec Endpoint here. Very low overhead, you wouldn't notice it's running and none of the PCs have ever had any malware, ever.

Look it up, you can get a three year subscription for around £66. You just need to decide if your personal data etc is worth around £22 a year to protect.

0 Ratings
SteveWS
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thank you Liam.

I use the BT Virus Protect because it comes free with my BT Broadband, which I always thought was a good deal, maybe I have to rethink.

Can't believe others are not having the same problem.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

You're welcome. Possibly some people either don't notice or have little need to do anything that requires high CPU/RAM usage.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@SteveWS wrote:

Thank you Liam.

I use the BT Virus Protect because it comes free with my BT Broadband, which I always thought was a good deal, maybe I have to rethink.

Can't believe others are not having the same problem.

If you have a look through the forum you will see that BT Protect is not to be recommended.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog as you have already found. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to re use BT Netprotect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/

0 Ratings