cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBB
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT WI-FI App

Does this app ever work. So far in 4 months I've only managed to connect to my own hub. The hotspot finder is only showing my hub in the local area, when there is a least another 4 hot spots that I know off. Tried zooming out on the hotspot page and mine is the only one showing. This page use to show every hot spot in my Town, the problem seems to have started after the last update.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT WI-FI App

The app does work. The hotspot finder only gives a rough indication where there are hotspots. It is not very accurate. You have to also keep in mind that the range of the hotspots are ony a few tens of meters. If you are having a problem with it, it might be worth uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 16

You also need to remember that the existence of a hotspot is no guarantee that you can connect to it. The owner might have their home hub turned off, or be using it heavily, or even be using a different router..

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
JBB
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Thanks for the replys, but I think you have misunderstood me. The hotspot finder ONLY shows my location, on the connect page it shows the other hotspots along with other wireless devices. Away from home when trying to connect to a hotspot (even with a very strong signal) you can't connect.

If the hotspot had there router switched off it would not show up on the app. Also I have unistalled and reinstalled but didn't make any difference.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

I don't use the app now but from memory when you selected hotspots a map of your area showed the hotspots but there is no way that my device's wifi could detect these signals so they must have been based on BT data records of customers.  I know my hotspot shows only problem is I am using a netgear router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 16

Yep there does seem to be an issue with displaying the BTWifi Hotspots on the map. It should give you the postcode locations and how many in that location though all it is at the moment is a blank map with my current location.

Currently using the android version on the BTWifi app ver. 4.2.3

It also seems to be effecting the iOS version too ( BTWifi ver 5.0.0 config ver. 3.3

I have raised this up.
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 16

Think I have found the issue.

For some reason when your NOT connected to a BTWifi hotspot then BTWifi locations "pins" are not being displayed.

However when you are connect to a BTWifi hotspot the BTWifi locations are now displayed.

This suggests to be a configuration issue on either the BTWifi app or on the database which stores the active BTWifi hotspot locations.

I would have thought that locations would be displayed no matter what network you were using to view the information. Otherwise you have to find a BTWifi hotspot without aid of the app to then find the other hotspots.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

the location of the hotspots are based on BT records and not hotspots/btwifi currently broadcasting a btwifi signal.  there is no way your handheld device is picking up the btwifi signal from anything more than 20m away even if that

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 16

Hi imjolly

I have put some printscreens to help explain what the OP is saying.

1) This is what the BTWifi Map in the BTWifi app should look like (this is for the ios version). The circles and Pins indicate the activated BTWifi hotspots for that postcode. The bigger the circle the more BTWifi hotspots are activated. The pins are Premium BTWifi.

2) However at the moment the circles and pins indicating the postcode locations for the BTWifi hotspots aren't showing, suggesting a database or app configuration issue.

The print screen below is what the map currently looks like, it's just showing the basemap and not the overlaying BTWifi hotspot location data.

photo.PNG

This seems to have effected the IOS, Android and Windows BTWifi apps

Also there seems to be a website configuration issue on the BTWifi map which gets diverted the BSG Wireless instead. The link is on a few of the help pages on the BTWifi and BT.com website. Link to issued URL http://btwifi.hotspot-directory.com

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

@JBB wrote:

If the hotspot had there router switched off it would not show up on the app. Also I have unistalled and reinstalled but didn't make any difference.

jac_95

my reply was more in relation to this comment and not whether the hotspot map actully works.  whether router switched off or not there is no way a handheld wifi device is going to pick up a signal of a hotspot more than 20m away - even if that.  the hotspots come form bt customer data base