cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axe1986
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BT Whole Home - Slow Backhaul over Ethernet?

Go to solution

Hi All,

Looking for some assistance,

Set up - 

VM 3.0 - Disabled WiFi but still have the 4 ports active on the router

Disc 1 - Office 1st Floor - Ethernet cable in VM Speedhub 3.0 -  200mb easy over wifi with a few meters

Disc 2 - Living Room Ground Floor - Ethernet cable in VM 3.0 - 80-85mb within a few meters

Disc 2 - Living Room Ground Floor - Left unplugged and on WiFi - 130mb (decent if i hadnt got a cable sitting next to it)

Disc 3 - Bedroom 1st Floor - WiFi -  160-180mb over wifi with a few meters

No issues with disc 1 or 3, but disc 2 is being throttled down when plugged in, its a new cable run in from office to downstairs for a gig hub i had down there but ive taken that out of the mix, laptop plugged in maxes out my 200mb, disc 2 seems to not be intrested over 80-85mb when it has a ethernet directly to the modem?

All above tests are with no other usage on the set up, just my one phone with speedtest on it at the various locations all within a few meters of the discs.

Anyone else having this issue? Why will it not allow 2 discs to run at full speed plugged in over ethernet?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Whole Home - Slow Backhaul over Ethernet?

Go to solution

@axe1986

This is the BT Retail forum for BT Broadband customers, please post on the VM user forum.

Help & Support Forum 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
axe1986
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

So one of the best places to reach people who would use the Whole Home right? I dont have an issue with my broadband the ISP is irelevant, and could be removed the the post entirely, i have the same issue.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
no one here knows about the VM Speedhub 3.0and how the BT Whole home may work on it
0 Ratings
axe1986
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

How does the VM 3.0 come into it? Its just what its plugged into, its more to do with how the Whole home works and sets up, and if anyone else has found this issue, and if so did they resolve it? Change VM 3.0 to HH6 apart from being a slow speed from BT it would be the same issue. The issue is the second disc connected over ethernet is considerably slower.

Ive made downstairs the main and upstairs the second and the issue follows (dowstairs is full speed upstairs is around 50% down on speed at 80-85mb), so negate the VM 3.0 side, has anyone come across this, or similar? Has anyone got all 3 discs connected over ethernet and speed tested them individually?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
0 Ratings
axe1986
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

What a lovely group this is, your issues get marked as solved for you and threads locked from editing, when your not actually resolved. Nothing like sharing experiances and helpful tips with people.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

This is a BT Retail customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT Retail  products & services.

As you are not a BT Retail customer, you have been advised to post on your own ISPs forum, as ISP specific routers will have their own issues when connected to specific hardware.

Any references on these forums, to the BT Whole Home WiFi, would be related to usage with the BT Home hub.

For information about products marketed under the BT name, you need to speak to the product helpline.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe How is the BT Whole Home WiFi not a BT Retail, now BT Consumer, product? And if @axe1986 has purchased one, by what criteria does that make him or her not a BT Consumer customer?

If it's not a BT Consumer product and nothing to do with this forum, why is there a sticky post, Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi, detailing the product on the home page of this forum.

@SeanD As the author of the Whole Home WiFi post, are you able to advise where users should seek support for this product from if this forum is not the correct place?

Regards

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@smf22

As @axe1986 is a Virgin Media customer, then their forum would be the best place to ask, as other VM users could share their experiences.

The configuration for VM may be different as they use cable modems.

Any information posted here in relation to the home hub, may not be of any help, and I doubt that anyone on this forum would want to get involved with a Virgin Media customer.

Perhaps BTs consumer group should have their own forum dealing specifically with their products that are sold to the general public, irrespective of their service provider?

0 Ratings