Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Whole Home - Topology Question

Hi All,

I have recently installed BT Whole Home (3 discs) and on the whole (pun intended) it works very well. 

I recently added another couple of discs to expand the coverage but the resulting topolgoy is not what I expected. I understand that the discs will attempt to self-determine the best configuration (based on various signal measurements, not distance) but I'm really confused by how it's configured itself (see image)

"Family Room" is connected to the router, and Upstairs has a good connection to it (e.g. I can saturate my 160Mb/s broadband connection when connected to this). 

Introducing the disc "Bedroom" seems to have connected itself with a poor quality connection to the "Family Room" disc (with attendant poor performance) rather than connecting to "Upstairs" which itself has a very good connection to "Family Room". Why has this disc chosen a poor quality remote connection to "Family Room" rather than relaying via a (very close by - line of sight) connection to "Upstairs"?

Have I misunderstood the mesh nature of the product and it's actually a star/hub approach? If so then it doesnt really make much sense. 

All information gratefully recieved. 

Cheers

Mark

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 11.53.59.png

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Whole Home - Topology Question

Welcome to this user forum.

It may be best to ask the question on the main thread?

Introducing BT Whole Home Wi-Fi

spiderlane
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Ah, thanks Keith, will do

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@spiderlane wrote:

Ah, thanks Keith, will do

Cheers

Mark

Its just nice to keep all the questions on the same thread where the product expert posts, as its easier for them to find. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Definitely. Thanks for the steer. It would be great to get some info from anyone with some engineering knowledge of the product.
0 Ratings