cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinwtaylor
Beginner
Message 21 of 28

Re: BT Whole Home v1.02.03 build03 guest network

I would like the meshing to be a little more intelligent. I have 4 discs in the main house and 1 further away in an annex. It seems to connect to one only and sometimes drops out. I would like it to be able to connect to another disc on these occasions but I seem to only have a one-or-the-other choice. I'm sure bigger meshing APs like Meraki can do this.

0 Ratings
BristolPete
Beginner
Message 22 of 28

I think the Guest network is only working on the 5Ghz band, I would like to connect some devices to a guest network to keep them off my home system which are only 2.4Ghz but they won't connect. Does anyone know if my guess is correct?

Also noticed above some people having problems getting the new Android App, / running hte updates, I also had issues resolved it by uninstalling the app then installing a fresh copy which allowed me to update my Mesh systems.

0 Ratings
AdamBeg
Beginner
Message 23 of 28

Sorry question posted twice. See below....

0 Ratings
AdamBeg
Beginner
Message 24 of 28

Does anyone know if the guest network limits the number of clients you can have connected at any one time? I know with the new BT Hub update the guest network allows up to 13 clients but cannot find any info on the Whole Home guest network.

0 Ratings
Dan-O
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 25 of 28

Hi @AdamBeg

There is no limit for the number of guest clients that can connect to the Guest SSID.

It works a little differently on Whole Home compared to the new BT Hub update. As the BT Hub is a router, it can create separate IP subnets for the clients. Whole Home works by filtering the traffic and blocks guests from accessing devices on the local network.

0 Ratings
AdamBeg
Beginner
Message 26 of 28

Brilliant. Cheers @Dan-O! That was the answer I was hoping for!

0 Ratings
Blingshot
Beginner
Message 27 of 28

Hi Dan, regarding the Guest network ... is it possible to disable the 2.4Ghz network on the main wifi so it just runs on 5Ghz and then, on the guest network, disable the 5Ghz and only use the 2.4Ghz so that you have two SSIDs, one for 2.4Ghz and the other for 5Ghz?

Many 2.5Ghz devices such as video doorbells etc really struggle if the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz have a single SSID.

Any help would be appreciated before I go out and buy a BT Whole Home mesh setup.

Many thanks, Nom

0 Ratings
Dan-O
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 28 of 28

Hi @Blingshot 

Unfortunately not - you cannot permanently disable either of the Wi-Fi bands on the main or guest networks. We have a feature called "2.4GHz Device Setup Mode" which temporarily disables the 5GHz network. Some 2.4GHz devices need your phone/tablet to be on 2.4GHz in order to initially set them up so this feature helps with that.

Did you have any particular devices that struggle with both networks on the same SSID? If a device is 2.4GHz-only it will not be able to see the 5GHz network so won't know whether the SSIDs are the same or not.

Thanks,

Dan-O

0 Ratings