cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nzapponi
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

BT Wholesale database data is wrong / no cabinet listed, BT thinks there's no line installed at all!

Hi,

I just moved into a property and I am trying to get some sort of broadband up and running (ideally FTTC).

I believe there is an issue with how my property (a 3rd floor flat built 8 years ago) is listed because:

1. On the BT Wholesale ADSL checker my property appears twice, once as Flat 16, ... and once as 16, ..., and shows different data for the two addresses;

2. Again on the BT Wholesale ADSL checker it tells me which exchange it's connected to, but not which cabinet. This makes the data about the line very blurry (no FTTC, very slow speeds... it seems like it's calculated from the exchange rather than the cabinet);

3. My building is actually split in two sets of flats, and the other half appears to be connected to a cabinet, with FTTC and everything else available.

How can I ask BT to please check whether the database data is correct about my property?

Again, every broadband supplier is having issues giving me speed estimates and information about my line, and a BT agent seems to believe that I don't have a line coming in at all!

Thank you very much for the help.

Nick

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: BT Wholesale database data is wrong / no cabinet listed, BT thinks there's no line installed at

BT does not maintain the database, however if you are placing an order for phone and broadband from BT Retail, then a BT employee on this forum should be able to help.

If you are placing an order with a different provider, then you will have to contact them for assistance.

Openreach deal with external routing, but they do not deal direct with end users.

0 Ratings
nzapponi
Beginner
Message 3 of 27

Re: BT Wholesale database data is wrong / no cabinet listed, BT thinks there's no line installed at

Thanks. So are you telling me that there is no way for me to fix this?

If the BT Wholesale database is wrong, providers wouldn't let me place an order without going through additional installations and cancelled engineering visits because Openreach is rejecting the order.
So providers can't help me. How can I get this fixed with Openreach??

I believe you suggested Mods to help in previous posts:
https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Correcting-incorrect-home-address-in-Openreach-database/td-p/1139...

?

Thanks
Nick
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

@nzapponi wrote:

I believe you suggested Mods to help in previous posts:
https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Correcting-incorrect-home-address-in-Openreach-database/td-p/1139...

Thanks
Nick

They work for BT Retail, and can only help if you are trying to place an order with BT Retail, and cannot help you with other providers.

They can help you progress your order with them.

Its Openreach that maintain the database, as they own the external network. If Openreach do not have any network feeding your property, then it will no show on their database.

A service Provider can contact Openreach to sort this out, but they will not do this without an actual request for service.

0 Ratings
nzapponi
Beginner
Message 5 of 27

So if Openreach recorded wrong data, how can I get it fixed???
By placing an order for a line that BT doesn't even know it's there?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Do you intend to place an order for phone and broadband from BT Retail?

If you are, then this problem can be sorted.

0 Ratings
nzapponi
Beginner
Message 7 of 27

The issue I'm having is that no Provider is willing to take an order from me because Openreach rejects them on the ground that the data doesn't match!

So if a Provider tells me "Sorry, it's an Openreach issue" and you tell me "Contact a Provider", I'm in the middle having no point of contact.

How can I contact Openreach directly?
nzapponi
Beginner
Message 8 of 27

How am I supposed to decide if I want to place an order from BT Retail, if BT Retail itself is unable to tell me which services they can provide?

You're asking me to place an order not knowing what I am buying.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

You cannot contact Openreach yourself, as they only deal with Service Providers.

This is a BT Retail forum, and has no connection with Openreach, and cannot help with other providers.

You should be able to get ADSL to start with, and then upgrade to Infinity if and when its available.

If FTTC is not available to BT Retail, then it will not be available to other providers.

As you can only use the postcode or address checker, then the information may not reflect the true situation.

0 Ratings
nzapponi
Beginner
Message 10 of 27

This is the most ridiculous process I have ever seen.
I bet you'd never buy something without knowing what you're buying in the first place.

Completely useless.