Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

BT WiFi iPhone Autoconnect Issue

Go to solution
I’m having an issue with BT WiFi after having installed the app on my iPhone and installed the profile for autoconnect. Since doing this even when I’m at home the phone is preferring the BtWifi-X network over the Smart Hub network.

I can’t see any way to change this on the phone and I don’t want to remove the profile as it makes connecting to hotspots while out and about. However, it’s not ideal as the BT WiFi side isn’t as fast as my own network.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT WiFi iPhone Autoconnect Issue

Go to solution

Go into the apps settings and make sure that you have ticked the box "automatically connect me to my homehub when in range"

adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@gg30340 I'm not sure where to find any such setting. There's no such thing in the BT WiFi app or in iPhone settings.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@adly the settings you need to adjust are on your iPhone and not the app.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Wi-Fi
  3. Press the arrow next to BT Wi-fi, BT FON or Openreach
  4. Select Forget this Network
  5. Set Auto-Join to "OFF"
0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@NeilO if I do that will I still connect automatically to BT WiFi hotspots when about and about?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@adly wrote:

@gg30340 I'm not sure where to find any such setting. There's no such thing in the BT WiFi app or in iPhone settings.

I use the BTWifi app on Android and the setting is there.

I don't know if it is the same on the iPhone but if it is, you open the app and click on the three dots at the top right. Scroll down to settings and it should be there.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@adly you'll still be able to connect to BT Wifi hotspots but may have to manually connect by opening the BT Wifi app. 

0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@gg30340 unfortunately there's no such option with the iPhone. Due to the way the iPhone works the app just installs a connection profile that makes the phone autoconnect to the BT WiFi hotspots. The app can't manage any WiFi settings and the iPhone WiFi settings are very limited. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

It turns out there is a way to prioritise networks with the iPhone to avoid this issue without having to disable auto-connection for BT Wifi hotspots. Basically, with the iPhone, the more you manually select a network the more it will be prioritised. Thus, if you select your home network a few times, it will be selected before the BT Wifi networks.