cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aerom
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT WiFi /with FON connection drops whenever YouTube app is in landscape mode?

Go to solution
I'm currently in a flat without internet for a couple weeks, away from home where I have a BT infinity router. I've been using BT openzone and BT WiFi with FON with my account, on my android phone, to get internet access. However, the connection is occasionally very slow and spotty.

Particularly, however, it seems to always clash with certain apps and video playback methods. For some strange reason I can watch videos on the YouTube app and on the Chrome app perfectly fine when I hold the phone portrait, but if I flip it landscape, the connection to whichever BT wifi hotspot I'm trying to use pretty much immediately drops. Note that I haven't changed playback quality settings or anything.

Are BT WiFi hotspots programmed to kill your connection entirely (I have to re-sign in every time it happens) if you stream a video? Or does it simply not know how to handle it and instead of just cutting the buffering of the video, just throws out your connection instead? What about the weird preference of portrait over landscape despite no data streaming difference?

It seems really poorly designed.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT WiFi /with FON connection drops whenever YouTube app is in landscape mode?

Go to solution
BT Wi-Fi and BT Fon are provided from BT customers hubs and the hub user has priority over the connection so you are likely to drop connection from time to time it was really meant for emails and web browsing not streaming services
0 Ratings
Aerom
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Re: BT WiFi /with FON connection drops whenever YouTube app is in landscape mode?

Go to solution
Any ideas on the video landscape layout issue? I get that the bt wifi w fon hotspots aren't technically meant for video streaming but as long as obviously the actual hub owners get priority, I'd be content with simply a lower or zero DL speed temporarily, but still keep my wifi connection. Why should it cut off my connection entirely, given that it's the bandwidth rather than the wifi connection that's the limiting factor?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

The short answer is that BTWifi is meant for casual browsing of the Internet and not "labour intensive" video steaming. As regards the landscape/portrait mode it is probably caused by your device temporarily dropping the connection while it reconfigures the screen. This will cause BTWifi to drop the connection which in turn will require you to re-log in.

0 Ratings
Aerom
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Okay. Thanks!
0 Ratings